1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Guts

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by peterpalmieri, Mar 10, 2008.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    So the Oliv D & G arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon. I had a little kid on Christmas mantality and couldn't help but run right down into the basement to put them on. Despite having a rehearsal only 3 hours away. The nut seems to be pretty good as it is, I don't think it needs any alteration.

The strings sound pretty darn good right out of the box. Darker with a little more punch and less sustain then my Heritage strings, not as dramatic as i would have hoped but as of now they haven't been on the bass more then 20 hours. Thus far they bow very well at least not any harder then the heritage strings.

I will have to reserve my judgement for a few days until they really break in, at this point they seem to drop a half step at every breathe. Rehearsal was a challenge in that regard. If they don't change at all I would say they get me closerr to the sound I'm looking for but for $100 per string they don't sound that much different.

Didn't I say I'd reserve judgement for a later time?

More to come. Thanks for all those who helped out. Wish I had a set of Gamuts to compare them too....

2. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Gut stretches; there's no way to avoid that. However, as Olivs age, they stabilize. I'm talking a year. After 2 years, they didn't budge at all

3. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Your the first guy I'm hearing talking years not months on the life of these strings...

Thank GOD!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    They are going to spoil you for all other strings.

5. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I brought up the string height a little bit as the D was starting to thud out around 5th position. The sound is really coming into it's own now.

Unfortunately I am starting to notice a buzzing on my open A and to a lesser extent on the E. I am starting to feel like a quest to find a matching E and A is on the horizon.

We'll see, it's still not as a dramatic change wondering if I should have gone plain gut...Still real good though.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Overall bass tension changes are inevitable when swapping out partial sets. The E and A that remain will be in a different place tension wise as the neck and top flex to adjust to the new tension D/G strings.

For instance I can play my bass with the Stark spiro E Mittel A and flexocor D/G and it sounds great. If I put on a Stark A instead it throws the whole bass balance off. The bass gets real stiff, feeds back quickly, and the D/G don't feel as good. Go back to the Mittel A and everything settles back in their just fine.

7. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    UT,

Your right the more I listen to the bass the more I can tell the E and A are just wrong. Everyone seems to like the eudoxa E and A of course those are the most expensive almost $300 for the 2....

What is the problem with the Oliv E and A anyway?

Pete

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I really liked well used Spirocores with those olivs. I used my well broken in Stark E and Mittel A with them and it worked well. The Mittel E/A was good too.

I have to have a steel E string. For me there is nothing better than Spirocores on the E. I need to be able to play a decent B on my E string once in awhile so the Eudoxa and any other gut core E doesn't work for me.

9. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I find it absolutely amazing that every time I pick up the bass my G is an F# talk about stretching, it is unbelievable.

I just picked up a used Eudoxa A from David K. to try out well see how that goes.

Lovin' them more each day and I really thought bowing would be a challenge but it is not in any way...

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    The Oliv bow better than most strings for me. Up there with the Flexocor and the Belcanto in that regard.

Plain Gut is where you end up in hell.

The stretching will settle in. Part of the deal, it won't last forever.

11. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Try Ideal Strings at 212 675 5050, you should be able to get the
    Eudoxa A & E for closer to $200 than $300, and I'm pretty sure they ship.

12. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    [1]For the first few months, Olivs can go a half tone off during a 20 minute break, especially under stage light. That will stabilize.
    [2] No surprise. I use Olivs precisely for arco.

13. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Well I got the Eudoxa A and it compliments the Oliv D & G perfectly.

14. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    If you haven't read the whole thread and are feeling lazy. I went with -

Oliv - D & G
    Eudoxa - E & A

Did this in mid march 08.

Love the sound and the feel vs steels, they bow extremely well in my opinion and really darken up my newish Kolstein hybrid bass. They also amplify well for jazz no problems there. The sound has not significantly changed from day 1 on the bass.

I am however amazed that 3 months in they still drop a 1/2 step in 24 hours. Everynight I come home and they are almost always F#, C#, G#, D#. As if that is almost there natural place in the universe. I went away for a long weekend and found them down a whole step.

I am hoping they stabalize soon, thankfully no steady upright gigs at the moment. Not sure I'd want to be dealing with this 5 nights per week with rehearsals and gigs. They are however becoming more stable over the course of an hour or two, there was a time where I'd have to retune during a set between tunes or during a single sit down of rehearsing, that is fortunately happening less and less.

15. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I completely agree with you. This is a great thread BTW, lots of very useful opinions going around.

16. I'm going back there, my Cleveland sounds best with plain gut on G and D. I've had Spiro Mittels on for over 6 months and the G string ain't working- it either disappears in the mix or sounds like a whiny kid.

17. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yea I dig. My favorite sound on my Cleveland is with Spiro E/A and Gamut plain gut D/G.

18. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    My receipt from Lemur says I purchased my Eudoxa E string on 4/28/08.

Woke up in the morning over the weekend went down stairs to practice and found my $160 E string unwound and the gut severed about an 1/8 of an inch above the upper winding.

Man that didn't last very long. I am sending it back to Lemur but I don't think they are going to replace it for me.

19. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    That stinks. A few years ago, on my only set of Eudoxas, the G and D unwound. On the other hand, my Olivs lasted for at least 3 years and many mount-dismounts without a problem. I don't know if the winding material made the difference.

20. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I hate pouring money down the toilet like that. Happens a lot with me and strings.

Gut core E/A strings suck. I don't care what anybody else says about that. I've got old ones, NOS best you can find, I've had modern Eudoxa/Olive whatever.

They all suck.

Steel on the bottom for me.