Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to humbucker: anyone see a problem with installing a single CT humbucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basschair, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hopefully folks will respond to this one :p

So, I just can't afford a pair of Aero pups, and am considering a single humbucker with a coil tap. I've never had an HB before: is it odd to have only the one pickup and to switch between the dual-coil and a single single-coil? Are there reasons not to do it?

I'm having a heck of a time finding the right pups for a passive 6-string setup, probably because I've never re-rewired my old basses, nor upgraded their pups.

I'm pretty much set on a purely passive (not active with bypass) for the new build, and gathered that Aeros were a great choice...I'm tired now: it's past my bed time.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

Don't do 6's so don't know what's out there for selection. A coil tap is actually something different than what you're talking about but the problem with splitting coils in an HB is that it's no longer humcanceling when it's split. You can run a pair of HB's and wire something like inner coils, outer coils, and dual HB and have it all humbucking. You should be able to throw in a dummy or mute coil to cancel noise in a single HB but I've never messed with it. There's also a few triple coils (like Bart) and a Nord Quad in MM form that give sort of humcanceling "single" coil - the Bart would be but the Nord would actually be a split HB (like a DM Model J). Don't know if Nord makes those other than MM or not.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Like Ron said, nothing inherently wrong with a one pickup bass. The Precision and Stingray basses have stood the test of time pretty well :)

Ron's recommendation for a triple / quad coil pickup is a good one, that way you can switch between dual series/dual parallel/single and still be humcancelling at all times.