1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new to learning the bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass_daddy, Oct 31, 2010.

1. bass_daddy

bass_daddy

Feb 4, 2010
    poconos pa
    hey guys i have been playing my guitar for about a year now. i have a 73 fender music master that i use to play years ago it was my dads first bass and now mine. I bought a 2004 fender precision bass about 3 months ago and i have been playing pretty much everyday since i got it. Now what my problem is i am trying to learn how to read notes and i am getting it kind of..lol, i want to learn how to play some jazz lines and some reggea lines. but i am not sure where to turn to learn these techniques. can anyone give me some advice on what to do with this? thanks a lot guys :bassist:

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Maybe join a band .

3. bass_daddy

bass_daddy

Feb 4, 2010
    poconos pa
    not sure how much this will help but i do play the bass for the church but no one there is a good bass player i am actually teaching another person the basics of the bass :(

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

How can joining a band help with this. :confused:

5. www.jazzbooks.com will have a wealth of information. Now most of it is advanced - for some "start at the beginning" chord progressions and backing tracks I found this helpful: http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html. Hundreds of chord progressions and backing tracks on jazz standards, however, you still have to compose what bass line to use, i.e. roots or chord tones are up to you.

The free "Red Book" (Jazz theory) is a must. http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=FQBK&Store_Code=JAJAZZ

Can not help with Reggae.

Good luck.

6. bass_daddy

bass_daddy

Feb 4, 2010
    poconos pa
    thanks you i will take a closer look at your link when i get home from work!
    thanks a lot i will read over the links more when i get home from work :hyper::bassist: