Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to lighting, need help please.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've decided to start building a lighting system for my band, the singer owns a small PA we use for the vocals and such, and we have been going off of stage volume for the instrument mix. Since they have this covered, I felt maybe I should pitch in some, since I feel a little guilty of taking an even cut of the earnings, when others are contributing more to the gig than myself.

We've had no lights of our own to bring to gigs, and a lot of times the places we play don't offer much. So, I've decided to buy some lights for us, and have ordered six PAR54's to start, and planning on adding on with gig money, as it comes in....I don't mind spending on them, I will take them all with me if/when I leave the band.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea's on how to make a foot controlled board to run the lights. I know these are readily available from many manufacturers, but between the cost of a board, and a dimmer pack or two, this can get very expensive in a hurry. I was wondering if there were any A/C footswitches available to make my own board? Is this a bad idea? Anyone have any other advice for this? I plan on running the six 54's, along with a fogger, strobe, and whatever else I can dig up, with room for expansion....all the while being able to do my bass playing duties.

Thanks in advance

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    One of the bands I fill in for occasionally has a foot controlled lighting rig. To be honest I've never really looked closely at how it works. If need be, I can give them a call and ask questions. I'll wait and see if anyone here knows more...........

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks Pete, I have done some asking around, and it sounds like a prebuilt pedal board with a couple dimmer packs is about the only way to go to be safe, and in the long run cost effective. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears though too.

4. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    You might want to look into a midi sequencer as well. This way you can time your lights to certain parts of the performance, providing your timing is rock solid, otherwise it might look a little weird.