1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Linux LISTEN UP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Short but sweet, I am kind of new to Linux, but listen.....I have tried Redhat....Mandrake....Mandriva 2006...Mandriva 2007>>>full of bugs...and today UBUNTU......IT can run off the floppy!!!!!! but I installed it from there to the hard drive....IT FOUND THE DRIVERS FOR MY WIRELESS CARD....and installed it all by itself!!!!! this is by far the MOST simple install I have done using Linux/Unix....so if you are a newbee.....you may flip out of your seat at just how easy this is compared to the ones I mentioned, not to knock them, but it is what it is:cool: and so far..UBUNTU IS THE BOMB! just thought I would share!

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Ubuntu is pretty nice, but it still has a way to go as far as being user friendly enough for your average user. Trying to get WPA wireless encryption running is quite a chore, amongst a few other things. Still, I prefer it to Windows, but if I wasn't there to set everything up (along with some help from one of my Linux buddies) there would be no way my wife would be able to get it running everything she needs/wants. For instance, most people won't want to or may not have the know how to manually edit their xorg.conf file to get tv out working with their computer.

Ubuntu is a lot more user friendly than the first Linux distro I tried (Mandrake 6 or 7 I think).

3. Things have come on enormously in just the past couple of years. To be really user friendly, linux distributions need to break free of this "if it ain't open source, we don't want it" mentality and realise that, although it's not ideal, most people want or need to use proprietary file formats at least for the moment. Not including mp3 or avi support isn't going to encourage people to start using the open source alternatives (ogg, theora) it's just going to discourage them from using linux.

Having said that, when people see just how restrictive windows vista is going to be (you can no longer move your legally bought OS to more than one other computer - no more reactivation!) they might start moving to linux in droves.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Perhaps. I'd like to see Vista once it is out. I'm primarily an OS X user now and once my current laptop dies that'll probably be the end of Windows for me. The single license transfer with Vista is kind of ridiculous. For most users it won't make much difference, but if I legitimately wanted to transfer it more than once, why shouldn't I be allowed to? I'm going to have to check this out. Also, I see that the Vista release to manufacturers has been delayed by 2 weeks.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    ^^ that would be completely stupid.

If that happens, I'm switching to Mac.

6. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Having said that, when people see just how restrictive windows vista is going to be (you can no longer move your legally bought OS to more than one other computer - no more reactivation!) they might start moving to linux in droves.[/QUOTE]

This is just a prime example of Microsoft acting like "The ONLY game in town" and I think people will sooner or later get sick of it, don't get me wrong, I am not against MS, but that is just STUPID:mad:

7. Already has happened: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7355

(there are many, many more sources for this, this is just the one I found first)

But for how long will Mac be different? The only way to be sure is Linux or BSD :)

8. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    I don't trust an OS I can't mod entirely.....

with the graphic interfaces these days Linux is perfectly userfriendly

as soon as all my favorite games are linux friendly I'll no longer duel boot

9. I don't know...I've been referred to as a linux 'guru' by various people and can be found frequenting www.linuxquestions.org answering questions and solving problems, but I still run into problems that should be easy to solve but aren't.

Today my friend wanted to rip a DVD to avi file. She uses Ubuntu and their package for mencoder/mplayer doesn't have support for mp3 audio in avi files. As such we had to compile lame (not in the repository) and then recompile mencoder. However because we compiled our own version and installed it as a package, it broke existing dependencies and other things refused to work. It took me hours to sort out. I hate to say it, but in windows that kind of thing is a no brainer (I don't even use windows, and haven't for 4 years or more). Funnily enough, the whole thing would have been easier to solve in Slackware linux, possibly the least user-friendly distro out there.

Until Linux distributions realise that the primary goal of most users is ease of use, not open-source, they will not gain much in the way of market share. Of course, this is not the purpose of linux anyway, but when we have a distro that includes support for all common codecs and file formats and a means of installing that takes the pain out of conflicting packages then perhaps we'll get more people switching. Desktop linux IS great and it does everything I need and it HAS come an awefully long way in a very short time (the eye candy on the linux desktop blows windows out of the water and KDE4 will be awesome) but it still has a way to go before it appeals to most people.

10. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    That's the thing everything's free

the OS is free, the software is free, the information is free.

the biggest downfall I have noticed is the lack of wireless suport but even that's getting better as of late

generally people make Linux seem much harder than it is. Whenever I mention linux to people they always ask me "Is that like DOS?"

while yes I do use CLI I can also open up the graphic interface and do day to day things just as easily as I do on windows.

When you do run into a problem really you don't even have to learn that much to fix it because of linuxquestions and other sites like it.

there will always be the Hardcore distros like slackware but using red hat or Ubuntu are cake

gladly I've never had to pay for windows but when the day comes that I do there's no chance I will

11. I feel the same way. I don't understand why people will pay upwards of $100 for something that is as restrictive (and buggy) as windows is. Cue loads of windows users saying about how few problems they've had...but then think of it this way: I'd EXPECT no problems if I've paid for software. I get no problems for free :)

12. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Linux is awesome
    I broke my Ubuntu though :meh: whoops :p
    i'm really thinking of deleteing my windows partition as soon as I get it back up and running...

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Slackware or freebsd...

As far as "windows is unstable" goes. years working with this, i've learned that most of time it's not the OS, it's the user.

Having said that, only reason i still have any kind of windows is games. Even though i don't even play games on PC all that much anymore (maybe few hour a year).

14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I will install Ubuntu 6.10 tomorrow.
    6.04 wouldn't install on my asus p5b motherboard.

15. I've got root access to a huge room of entrprise level Sun and Linux boxes... spend my nights in bash on a 'jump box' using ssh to access the servers from my 64bit XP workstation in the NOC.... MySQL, Oracle, event processors, SIP proxies... you name it (I'm currently an Operations Engineer for the leading VoIP provider).

at home I run windows XP pro with Photoshop and Sonar (and SecureCRT 5.0 for when I VPN into the office LAN)... I gladly paid for all 3 because they work for my needs :meh:

16. That makes me think - you gladly paid for all three, which is absolutely fine and dandy if that's what you like (masochist :D), but I wonder how many people out there use pirate versions of XP and are going to be unable to use pirate versions of Vista because they're toughening up with all that?

I wonder if they're the people who will switch to linux?

17. hardly... it's a 'production' or 'commercial' system. Sure everyone is out to attack it so it gets hacked / exploited often... but an un-hardened *nix box will get 'rooted' just as fast as an un-updated XP machine.
    (I did linux security at a previous job and use to moderate a network section of a BBS for linux professionals).

My windows boxes just work.... drivers, applications, etc. I was a Mac and unix guy before moving to AMD/WinXP at the release of XP. I'll agree win95-98-Me lovers are masochistic... just like the Linux guys ;)

I like sitting at my desk (or remote desktopping in) and just having everything work :D

Heck, I even have Apache running on it (Ok so even I can justify the existence of IIS!!!).

it's been said before... it ain't killing off windows. People will pay up... or if they like windows AND they are geek enough to run Linux... they'll have the means to crack windows. Every other step MS has taken to stop theft has unfortunately been overcome within days.

Linux is getting better / closer... but it's still like buying a disassembled and broken car that you need to put together and fix before you can use :p

18. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    The only people that pirate Windows are those who build their own computers - these people are either geeks or gamers. The geeks will most likely already be familiar with Linux, while the gamers will not be able to switch: they need to be able to play those tasty new games.

I don't forsee any significant changes in marketshare. If anything, it's Apple who stand to gain from MS aggravating all their users. This saying is getting a tad old, but linux still ain't ready for 'mom and pop'.

Still, no matter what protection MS put on Vista, it will be cracked.

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Debian > *

:bag:

Ubuntu is almost debian, just a little more wild and out there. Damn those Ubuntu hippies. Or is it that debian are the hippies? Hmmm...

20. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Pfft... All the cool kids run Slackware :cool: