1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to looping, need advice...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by dlloyd, May 10, 2006.

1. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I'd like to try my hand at a bit of looping, but haven't got the foggiest idea where to start. I'm almost completely clueless about the subject.

Essentially, what I'd like to be able to do is to lay down a bass track, loop it, then play guitar over the top of that, looping the guitar as well.

A single loop track of bass would probably be enough for my purposes, although I wouldn't rule out using more. I'd definately want to loop multiple tracks of guitar.

What would also be nice is if the loops could be triggered by a midi signal, to keep them in synch with drum machines, etc.

Is there a single magic box that will let me do all this, or am I looking at getting two units or more?

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    If you want MIDI sync there are, at the moment, three boxes worth trying - the Echoplex, which has a long history of doing midi-sync stuff, though some people have had drift issues, depending on how complex the processing is and how well they understand the midi side of things. Then there's the Looperlative, my looper of choice - the MIDI side of it is an on-going project, is top priority for the designer at the moment, and all future updates to the software are free and downloadable - yay!

And then there's the Repeater, but read all the stuff on Loopers-Delight.com before getting one... :)

Your other options are Mobius, SooperLooper or Max/MSP on a laptop. Mobius and Sooperlooper are free, and are PC and Mac respectively. Max is big money but incredibly versatile...

www.loopers-delight.com is the place for all things loop-related.

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net
    www.myspace.com/solobasstevelawson (new tune here)

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Cheers Tino. :)

If I was to go for an echoplex (or any of the boxes you mentioned), would one unit be able to cope with both my bass and guitar simultaneously, or would I have to get two?

Checking out the link as we speak...

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    with all the ones I listed, one would be enough - a lot depends on what exactly you want it to do. If you want to be able to take layers off in anything other than the order you added them, the the Looperlative is your best bet... actually, I think the Looperlative is your best bet all round, which is why I've sold all my exchoplexes. :D

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yep, the Looperlative looks to be just the thing I need. Are these things available in the UK yet? How much will one set me back?

Cheers,

Dave

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ordering is all done via the Looperlative website - with shipping at duty, I think you're looking at just under a grand...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

7. also an inexpensive solution is the lexicon jamman (not the digitech one)...it has MIDI support, also has the ability for many overdubs, for guitar and bass :)

of course, it really doesn't hold a candle to the power of the echoplex or even a spark to the looperlative :)