Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to Luthier - Have idea, need help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fong249, May 25, 2005.

1. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'm brand new to luthier, I've read practically everything I can find on it in order to understand. Its about time that I sink my teeth into it so I can fully undestand the whole concept.

I've had this plan for the past couple of weeks, working on creating a four string, v shaped bass. I understand how to use a bandsaw, when I was younger my uncle and I built birdhouses, but I am fairly new to routing. Furthermore, I am confused on how I would drill a hole from the electronics and pots area to the pickup. Input jacks seem a little easier than this.

I intend to make this bass either natural color or black with a creme binding. I understand V's are uncomfortable play, I've already thought that through.

I need information on how to go about doing the Nut, and where I can get a neck. I'd rather not build the neck and fingerboard myself, seeing as I'd probably mess it up, though I really wish to get a taste of building bodies for solid body basses.

If possible, A little electronics/pups advice would be wonderful.
    Currently, i intend to use either a single musicman like pickup by Basslines, or two EMG 35 Soapbar shaped pickups with two volume pots (bridge and neck pups if EMG) and a 3 channel eq (3 knobs).

Thanks in advance!

2. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    I use an extra long drill bit, you can get a much lower angle on the hole that way. I think most people use this method. You can get a bit at Home depot or Lowes, get at least an 18 inch, If you can find a 24, even better. 1/4 inch bits seem to work well, and i'm not sure if you can get a smaller diameter bit in that length. I drill from the corner of the pickup cavity to the control cavity, seems easier to hit the big cavity from the smaller one.
    Have fun, take it slow.

3. Another thing that I like to do rather than drilling a hole with a long bit is to construct the bass so that the cavity of the pickup and the cavity for the electronics actually meet so that you don't actually have to drill any holes. Either way is fine, but it's just something to think about.