Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New-to-me 8-string (Schecter Studio 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Dec 5, 2002.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

[​IMG]

pics from previous owner

It's a Schecter Stiletto Studio 8. One of the Diamond series (imported). It's neck-through with mahogany/bubinga body wings, EMG selects and an 18V 3-band preamp.

The nut width is 1-5/8", slightly narrower than the Dean Rhapsody 8 that I couldn't take and sold to Xush. The bridge has quick-release slots for the strings but only one bridge piece for each pair of strings (who makes these design decisions?).

Acoustically it's resonant and chimes nicely. I'm not sure amplified yet as it came on a band practice day (all basses must be delivered on band practice days, it's a rule) so I only plugged it into my crummy Behringer mixer to try and use that for a headphone amp (failed miserably). I'll take my Raven Labs headphone amp home tonight and check it out - and I should have tomorrow off so I'll plug it into an amp as well.

My main goal with this bass is to use it in conjuction with my (also arrived this week) Fostex MR-8 for songwriting. I'm hoping to get some good sounds and avoid pulling out a guitar (which I no longer play and don't really want to for hand health reasons). If that doesn't work out I'm not sure whether this will end up being a keeper or not (it's not a good sign to have keeper-doubts when something new first shows up).

It was too dark this morning to try and get some pics of my own but maybe it will clear up some this weekend.

These things seem pretty hard to find so if anyone has any questions fire away

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very nice bass. Hope it works well for you. I can't imagine playing an 8 string, being a confirmed 4 string, though I do like how the strings are paired on this model. It looks very playable and looks very cool. :cool:

Dan

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    very nice!!

i am really interested in 8 strings. how is the quality compared with G&L?

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats. I also had a Dean 8 string & it just didn't suit the needs in my band so I sold it.

The Schecter looks really nice!!!

5. craigb

I'll follow up next week after I've had some time to spend with it this weekend. My first impression is that it's a well-made, solid import bass. Nothing jumped out at me as "really good" or "really poor" in my first trial run with it last night.

6. craigb

Well I got to plug it in and actually hear it. The controls seem to be 3-band eq and 2 volumes. Not my favorite layout but they work. The sound is not bad - EMG selects are EMG selects and either you like 'em or you don't. It can growl a bit and chimes well (although it maybe could use some new octave strings - these are probably the originals from two owners ago and guitar-like strings just don't last that long).

It's a thick, thick sound. The construction seems good and solid. The only nits I'd pick on it are the bubinga (? my guess) facing on the headstock looks to have been sanded through on the contours and a little on the edges. But that's a pretty minor thing.

It's solid - a bit heavier than my alder G&L L2000 and slightly neck heavy. Nothing that isn't a "no problem" with even my cheap Musicyo leather strap (I think it's like 2-1/2" wide with rough leather inside).

Barroso - you asked about comparing it to a G&L. It's a nice import bass and the quality of those in general seems to be great these days. I've had European imports (Dean Custom, Czech MTDs) and Asian imports (Musicyo Steinbergers, Dean Rhapsody) and this is probably as good as any of those (although the Czech MTD was maybe a little nice). The hardware & electronics on the G&Ls is better and maybe the "intangibles". But the workmanship and woods look good on this Schecter.

The narrow neck works for me. Although I've been playing 1-1/2" wide at the nut fours I can deal with 1-5/8" as well (although I can feel the "stretch" when I do). There was enough space to play fingerstyle (my primary method) and pick. I don't slap so couldn't even try that.

But I think that I'm going to pass it on. It's not going to give me the kinds of pseudo-guitar things I'd wanted for songwriting. I'm probably going to have to work on some keyboard skills for that (guitar is too painful to play enough to be useful for me).

Look for it in the forsale forum.