Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (to me) '99 Ampeg SVT-810EN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by errornosignal, Apr 5, 2014.

1. errornosignal

errornosignal

Apr 5, 2014
    Serial: ASXDL90007. I paid $380. She's a little used and abused, but nothing that can't be fixed. It's got the (pre-dark) stock 86-032-01 speakers except for one Jensen Mod 10-50. The tolex is trashed! It's obviously been redone by someone with no attention to detail. OSB, missing feet, some rusty ass/missing hardware and the angle plate at the bottom is a little loose on one side. But she's mine new and about to get a little glue, some Duratex, and an expanded metal/perforated sheet grille. Give me your thoughts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. christw

christw Get low! Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I bought a '98 with 4 ruined speakers and 4 repairable speakers and next to no tolex for $75 a while back. I put in 4 Mod10-50's but kind of regretted it. Too much midrange with the SVT-II I was using at the time. Still, good cab at a good price!

3. errornosignal

errornosignal

Apr 5, 2014
    I plan on getting rid of the jensen asap. Eventually, I'd like to fill it with Eminence B810s but $600 for speakers is a big one.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nah, keep the 86-032-01's and either hold out for a used one on Ebay or get one of the Chinese Eminences they use now, as they're quite similar in tone IMHO. Duratex is a great idea but forget the metal grill...get yourself some blue/silver AV grillcloth instead. Ampegs are meant to rock grillcloth.

:D

5. errornosignal

errornosignal

Apr 5, 2014
    I've been waiting for you to chime in JimmyM. You are the master!!! I was actually planning on just trying to pick up one 86-023-01 and make some magic. I love the blue a/v grill JimmyM, but I work in a steel shop and I can get the perf at cost, shear it myself, and add my own custom touch. I swear, by the time I'm finished, it's going to be a sexy piece of art. Slotted perf
    http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perforated/slotted-hole

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, I'll buy that if you powder coat it blue/silver.

:D

Actually, I think it'll look pretty good even if you don't. I'm just a grillcloth snob. Didn't used to be, but I get more so in my old age.

7. errornosignal

errornosignal

Apr 5, 2014
    I can totally understand. If i had my way I'd get a early 70s as I'm super into vintage bare tone. Silver/blue cloth looks beautiful, but I'm into utilitarian/durability...and that slotted can't be beat when it comes to function/fashion in a ,metal band IMO. I never realized, but those Jensens are some light/cheap ass speakers! I need some help regarding the best way to prep that OSB (especially the wiggly, angled section) before I hit it with Duratex. Should I fill it with Quickwood, Plastic Wood, Elmer's, Bondo?! I want to seal and and make it as solid as can be. I need some feedback!

8. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    "Before animals I stand tall and fear nothing"

So, how does your new mantra feel? :)

Gvernon likes this.
  9. errornosignal

errornosignal

Apr 5, 2014
    You know, it feels good, real good...NOT!