1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to me Ashdown Five Fifteen

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 83_Silberpfeil, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Just brought home a new to me Ashdown Five Fifteen. This is a 100W unit with 15" driver. The unit is made in China. I've seen a few variety of these on the web using google image search. Some have carpet/felt exteriors, some have vinyl. Mine is carpet/felt. Some have 8 ohm external speaker connectors and some have 4 ohm. Mine is the 8 ohm.

This is a circa 2006 unit --- where the Ashdown logo is on the top left corner of the face of the cab. Newer ones are on top center.

This unit is replacing my other practice amp --- Line 6 Spyder III 15. Yes, I was using a guitar amp to practice bass. I mostly play Peter Hook (Joy Division / New Order) stuff, so it's pretty high up on the neck. So the Line 6 was OK.

The Ashdown is a solid unit --- over 40 pounds. Plugged my Yamaha BB1200S into it. Very crisp/punchy sounds. The bass/mid/treb equalizer is great --- really can vary the tones. Very happy with this craigslist score.

It also has a 'AUX Line-In" for me to play my back track to practice to. The wierd thing is that the volume of the AUX Line-In is controlled by the connected device (e.g. my iPhone) --- cannot be controlled by the volume dial on the amp.

It also has a headphone jack --- for late night practice sessions.

Tomorrow I will take it outdoors and crank it up! Very pleased so far.

Attached Files:

2. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Glad to hear you are happy with your new(ish) amp! I have the Tourbus 10 which is a smaller, simpler version of this amp and also found that the device controls the level of the Aux in instead of the amp having any control, but it is still perfectly suited to my needs.

3. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    So, I'm very happy with the Ashdown Five Fifteen --- after playing thru it for about a week now.

I've noticed that whenever I power down the amp/cab combo, I hear a quick pop.

My shutdown/powerdown routine are:

1) turn all volumes on bass down to zero
    2) turn all volume and gain knobs on amp to zero
    3A) flip power switch on amp to OFF --- I've also tried
    3B) flip power switch on power strip/surgeprotector to OFF

Then, about 7-8 seconds after 3A or 3B, I hear a POP --- like a remaining bit of power surged thru and gave the speaker a pick.

Anyone also experience this with amps in general?

Thanks!

4. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Picked up today an old “hairy” 5:15... sounds good in my study. :)

B241AB80-9577-4A33-AA5B-0125D0487123.