New (to me) bass(es)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Been a while since I've posted one of these and not one of them is one of the B-word basses;)

Went to a pawnshop yesterday and found both a vintage Kramer aluminum necked bass with case but also something I've had my eye on since forever, an Electra MPC Outlaw bass with two modules. Here's a pic from a website of a bass identical to mine:

There's a compartment in the back of the bass that houses two removable effects modules. Mine came with distortion and phase shifter... and everything works. Sweet.

Here's a pic identical to my Kramer, a DMZ 5000. I used one of these as a main bass for a few years back in the 80's.

Oh yeah...

Received a Nordstrand SC 4 on Friday...

2. Loving the Nord! That's a beauty of a bass.
  3. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    :eek: Can the stable get any bigger?? ;)

The nord is beautiful - congrats!
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Cool acquisitions, Brad!:D
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I think there's something wrong with your basses-they all seem to be missing their B strings :confused: :D Did you sell any of your other basses to fund these ones?
  6. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    I had a Kramer back around 1980 also, it was actually a pretty cool playing and sounding bass. Don't remember the model # but it just had P pups only with vol/tone and a switch for phase or series/parallel--not sure which one. One thing I do remember about th ebass is that you better have a backbrace when you strapped it on :D

Your Nordy and Electra are super cool also! Congrats!
  7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Traded the Eshenbaugh 4 I just got from a TBer. Nice bass but it didn't click with me.

The other two I picked up yesterday for $375... for both. I did my usual hardcore bargaining... I asked how much they'd take for each.

Lately six strings have been my main basses.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All of them are very cool!:cool:

That Nordie is way :cool:. It looks almost as nice as mine.:smug:
  9. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    Beautiful...all of them.

I know the feeling is great when I get 1 new with getting 3 all at must be in heaven.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Well, I made a local bassist very happy yesterday, he's the proud owner of the Nordstrand 4.
  11. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That thing is getting around! Glad everyone's happy.

Edit: I just realized you bought a Kramer, an Electra and a Nordstrand and flipped the *Nordstrand*. That's one for the books!
  12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Not really... I stopped by a store right after I got it, several people saw it and loved it. I got an offer I could've refused but didn't as it was reasonable for the Nordstrand;). Now the Nordstrand and the Eshenbaugh fours are in the hands of people who really love them. I have a few other basses that I should do the same with one of these days.

I didn't sell it because it wasn't a great bass, it is. I prefer the sound of Ash over Alder, probably as simple as that. I knew the Nordstrand, in spite of how great it looked and played, would probably only be used for recording, which I don't currently do a lot of. I'm into a different vibe.

The other two basses I got dirt cheap. The Electra is pretty rare and just as strange, I hadn't seen one in the flesh in over twenty years. The Kramer needs a little work and I'll probably let it go too. The Electra stays.
  13. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    nice grab on the Electra :bassist:
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Congrats, Brad. Funky and/or beautiful, depending on which one you choose! ;)
  15. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Those nordstrands are pretty sweet... If only i had the dough and conviction to buy one :scowl:
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting bit of serendipity: the pup config of the Electra is Hum-P, and the Nordie body shape (like all SC's IMO) is "humpy". :rolleyes: :p

But seriously...

Congrats for the cool acquisitions!
  17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    pics of the MPC Outlaw

The bass has a five position rotary selector, I don't know what each position does yet. Of the four controls, the front one controls overall volume, the second I'm not sure of, the third controls one of the effects modules' intensity, the fourth controls the other module. The two large toggles each activate a respective effects module. Both modules (Phase Shifter with color selector switch and Distortion module) work fine. The compartment requires no tool to access... and it even has a space for a space battery. That's thinking ahead.

Humbucker and P pickups, brass nut. Nice looking Abalone inlays. The bridge seems to have nice mass and there are string mutes that are set with two good sized thumb screws. Brass nut, Abalone inlays. The fingerboard height ovewr the body is minimal, don't see that everyday. pretty cool bass.