Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (to me) Buckeye Elrick e-Volution Singlecut 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I recieved this bass a little while back, and just now have some time to post about it. I was about to pull the trigger on this Buckeye Roscoe from Adrian Garcia's Access Bass site, when this bass went up for grabs, and I had to go for it (someone buy that great Roscoe from Adrian!). I've been wanting this bass for a long time-it's one of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen-and got it from fellow TBer theaterbass29 who made it an absolutely wonderful transaction. This was actually a gift from my wonderful wife, who supports my bass addiction like no other woman would :)

Here are the specs:
    Elrick e-Volution Singlecut 5 Neck-through
    35" scale
    Buckeye burl top and headstock veneer
    Light swamp ash body with walnut and paduak laminates
    3-piece maple neck and two-colored wenge fingerboard
    Bartonlini soapbars with Aguilar OBP-3 band preamp with mids selector switch
    Black hardware with Hipshot Ultralites
    Natural finish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Make it a double cut, and tweak those two cuts, and I'd buy it.

Nice bass anyways though.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's the whole bass with it's roommate, my Hill Custom fretless six:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Elrick sounds wonderful. Great fingerstyle tone with a very even sound across the strings. I can get several slap sounds out of it that I really enjoy, which is a somewhat hard thing to do as I am not a fan of the classical Fender Jazz/Marcus Miller slap sound. The Aguilar pre is very different; my last two main basses had the Bart 3-band, and the Aguilar is much less subtle than the Bart. Lots of extra power, so you have to be careful how you EQ. The treble doesn't even show itself when boosted with my type of fingerstyle until I begin slapping, and then you REALLY know that you've turned it up too far ;) A very good midrange and low-mids sound as well, which is the EQ area I focus on most. For the most part, it's a totally different bass than my Hill fretless (which I love), but it's a good different, as now have very unique and individual fretted and fretless sounds to choose from.

The 35" scale was something I was very worried about, but the reach is actually very easy, and I almost notice no change at all. It also helps that it can be easily adjusted to the right while seated so the headstock is closer to the body. Nice tight B, although my Hill has a 34" scale and the B is just as tight, so 35" for a tight B is certainly not a must for me. This bass is also super light. I'm used to heavy basses, and this one is like a feather in comparison to all my others. It's my only natural finish bass also, so I'm being extra-careful with it. It's just plain fun to play, and I'd love to get another Elrick someday.

5. Beautiful bass, Bryan. I'm sure you'll have many hours of enjoyment out of her. :)

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Beauty, Bryan!!!

Congrats!! :)

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    man - I gotta find a woman who gives presents like that.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, I REALLY want a six string bolt on e-volution. What a beautiful bass you have there. Congrats.

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new bass...great top! ;)

10. those two basses are sweet. congrats on the elrick.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sweetness!

i love my El with the jazz pickups, but would love to hear it with soapies. very nice.

12. That's a super bass. Congratulations.

I regret the day I sold my Elrick singlecut fretless 5er. It was a mistake. they are really fine and I think they have the best low B & C around.

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    Looks great.
    Do you know what kind of finish is on the Elrick?

T.

14. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Sweet Bryan! Any possible sound clips? -Luke

15. sweet, ver nice. but i don't like the headstock though :meh: it looks weird

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Y'know, the Elrick headstock is one of my least favorite as well (although the Elrick NJS is worse), but it does look a little better in person than I'd expected. And it doesn't bother me at all anymore because of the bass it's attached to ;) It's tiny size does help in eliminating any neck-dive though-my Hill has my favorite headstock design, but it's big and with all the other woods in use on the bass the neck does dip a little bit.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not likely this week-we're packing up and will be moving from Ohio to Connecticut in a couple of days, so I'll be pretty busy and don't know when I'll get my computer set up with internet access. I should be able to get some video clips up when I do though.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The finish is made of a hand rubbed urethane/oil combo from what I've read, although the Elrick site doesn't provide much info.

Hey Josh, are you going up to the New England TB get-together in April?

19. Bryan

That bass is beautiful :hyper:.

Congratulations

Matthew :bassist:

20. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Quite beautiful. Elricks ARE better looking in person, and they are wonderful axes. I played a 6 several years ago, and it sounded, played and felt spectacular. :bassist: