1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New (to me) Carvin-y Goodness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaye, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Just got paid a visit by the bass fairy (aka: UPS) who was kind enough to bestoy this upon me:

Carvin LB75P
    new Carvin Soapbar pickups
    piezo bridge
    black hardware
    maple neck / alder body
    Quilted Maple top
    Ruby red stain with black burst edges
    abalone block inlays

Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet since I am at work but if it sounds anything like it looks I will be a happy man.

Here is a crummy camera phone pic but it's all I have with me:

Attached Files:

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice. I predict it will sound good.

3. Nice! I've played a few Carvin basses and have been very impressed.. nice woodwork, good fretwork, nice designs. Enjoy!!!!!

4. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Gorgeous.

5. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice, Finally some Carvin love :)
    peace,
    Brian

6. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    This will be the third Carvin I have owned. I have a XB75P that I had made for me which is not going anywhere ever, and I swaped another LB75 that I had for this one. I love their work and the fact that they are semi-custom semi-boutique for a really resonable amount of money.

And if you buy used the value is REALLY insane.

7. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've played a stock LB75 for years as my main bass. They are indeed underrated, exceptional basses! I get tons of compliments on the tone and look, and mine is a no frills alder bodied sunburst with J99 single coils. This bass has been the "hit it out of the park in front of 50,000 fans in Yankee Stadium" screaming deal of the century for me, and has paid for itself many, many times over.

8. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Very nice!

I like how the abalone block inlays really stand out against all the dark colors.

Well done. :D

9. That looks great. I'm sure you're going to love it.

10. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    That's strange - I'm assuming you have the latest iteration of the high-end electronics like I have, P-series with the new preamp and soaps, but your piezo saddles appear to be a different design from mine.

Beautiful bass, I'll bet it sounds great.

11. I have a question about the LB-75 vs. the XB-75.

I know that the XB has a 35" scale vs. the 34" on the LB. My question is, Is the scale longer because the neck is longer or is it because the bridge is placed further back?

Secondarily, how noticeable is the difference in scale length between the two?

12. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The bridge is placed further back, so the overall body length is the same. The XB's have a 35 1/4 scale length, 22 frets as opposed to 24 on the LB's, and feel like a 35" bass.

13. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Yep what he said. It is a pretty noticable difference in feel. I like both though.

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    OO- La-La!

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    How new are the new electronics? I had a fretless 6 string a couple years ago. I really liked it except it was a little heavey (probably the Walnut) and I didn't like the electronics. I put Bartolini stuff in and it was much better.

I like the style and the necks feel pretty nice. They are a good value, new or used, but especially used.

16. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    The new electronics have been around since they came out with the Icon series which I believe was first quarter of 2006 but I am not positive on that. I have an 05 that has the old electronics.

17. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, that's correct, although if you go on Carvin's website the "Custom Bass Features" section makes specific reference to a 2007 model P-series and preamp package, so that could just be on basses built starting this year.

EDIT: Think I've found it in the Carvin museum. Some early P-series Icons are shown with the style of saddle that you have, as well as a bridge that only loads string-through. Mine can be top loaded or strung through. That combined with the stuff on Carvin's site suggests that the change was made starting this year.

18. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Hey Doc can you do me a favor? Can you measure the height of the 6 string Soapbar pickups for me....I am scheming and can't find it on Carvin's site.

Thanks a bunch!
    ~Mike

19. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Subtly beautiful-that's one of the nicest Carvins I've seen.

Play it in good health! :)

20. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Do you mean length of the pickup or height off the top of the bass? Either way, I've been told they're the same size as Bartolini P4s, which are 118mm x 32mm.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021