Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (To Me) Ebay Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooveguru, Apr 29, 2003.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    didnt you pick up an 800 a while ago? what happened with that?

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Yeah I did but didn't like it as well as my 400. I traded it for a Streamer LX-5. The problem is I use an Eden D-410XST(1000 watt) cab and they only come in 8ohms so I'm pushing less than 250 watts into it. I'm hoping I like this better so I can push the cab a little more. I also like having a backup/practice amp for my D-115 and can use both rigs for some outdoor things we have coming up. Plus it was a helluva deal.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i wonder what you (and others) are hearing. ive got a 400 and an 800 and cant tell a lick of difference other than the 800 is louder and has more headroom.

5. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Could have been that particular amp. It just didn't sound the same with the same settings. It was an older model 800. This 500 is newer and looks like it been upgraded to 600 watts.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Groovemeister, congrats, great deal.

The 600 in the lower left doesn't mean it is upgraded to 600. My old 800 and current 600 also show higher ratings on the back. Perhaps they rate and name the amp conservatively while accurately posting the number on the back?

Anyways, here is a similar pic from Eden's site:

[​IMG]

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Many people confuse power consumption with power output. I have seen 210 watt Peavey amps advertised as 600 or 800 watts because that is the number they found next to where the line cord goes in the back( i.e. 120VAC, 600 watts, etc.)

8. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Hey 500 is cool anyways. Bridged mono I'll have twice as much power as now with the 8 Ohm cab so it's all good. I'm mainly looking for some more headroom. My WT400 is clipping a bit. :cool: