New (to me) Elrick Singlecut 5 -- Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Ok - so after some debating I decided that the Cherryburst Elrick wasn't the one for me, tonewise. So I "traded" it with C-5KO for one of his Elricks.

Classic Singlecut Style
    Ash body
    Burled Walnut top*
    Maple neck
    Neck Through Construction
    Massacar Ebony Fingerboard
    Bartolini Pickups / preamp

*I guess it's technically a "crotch" walnut top but I don't care for that name so I'm just gonna call it a burl, ok? :p

Tonewise, this bass is perfect for what I was looking for. Very punchy and articulate (especially for a Neck through). Just the right amount of growl in the midrange, buttery lows and smooth highs. Not real bright at all which I've heard some people say of Elricks.

The electronics are very cool, especially the 3-way midrange switch. So far, my favorite tones come from playing right inbetween the two pickups with a bit of the lower or middle mids boosted.

The neck feels great!!! I gave it little more relief and lowered the action a bit, and now it's setup perfect for me. Very low action, with no buzz. The fingerboard feels like butter under my fingers :smug: Pretty soon I'll be contacting Rob to make me a playing ramp also :)

Here's the best pic I could get:

I'll try and get some soundclips up later...
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Nice! Definitely the best photo of that bass so far as well...looks like it'd need natural light to get everything on such a dark top visible.

You know where to send it if you ever give it up :D
  3. Yeah, and that was with a 120W floodlight pointed at it :p

The next nice, sunny day we have out here, I'll take some good outdoor pics :cool:

Here's a temporary family pic of the 3:

A couple other notes: This bass is LIGHT. I weighed it on my crummy old bathroom scale, and it looks (and feels) to be somewhere between 7 and 8 pounds. It's like a feather compared to my 9-9.5 pound Ken Lawrence.

I like and hate the recessed straplocks at the same time. They make for a real classy, clean look on the bass, and are obviously safer, but I like just being able to just throw a strap on and go. Now I just have to be careful with putting the strap on. And after 15 minutes of struggling to get the straplocks on my thick leather strap it's not like I can just pull them out and use it with other basses. Though I did find out that my Ken Lawrence does have straplocks. It's just on the inner part of the strap pin, so you can use it either way. :cool: I'll get used to it I guess.

I'm definatly liking the Classic design, with the lower horn curved like it is (wasn't too sure about it beforehand). It really hooks onto your leg (in a comfortable way ;) ) and you know it's not going anywhere. It stays secure at a pretty steep angle, for tapping and such. Whereas with the NJS, you have to hold onto to it if you're not wearing a strap. Especially with that glossy finish, it'll slide right off ya
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Easiest answer to strap problem: Install Dunlop strap pins on all of your basses, have a strap for each bass, and keep the straps on the basses. Or just get the matching strap pins for each bass, and switch the strap around between them (I prefer a strap per bass because two of my basses have the recessed pins and I don't like taking the straps off of them).

I thought the lower horn of the Classic might be a problem before I got my first one as well, but I think it would only bother guys with thick legs. I still prefer the e-volution style for it's bullnose radiusing everywhere (makes it extra comfy where the upper horn/bout touches your chest), but the Classic is still nicer than most body styles out there, IMO.
  5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's a real nice looking bass.
    Enjoy it!
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks great. I miss it already :D !

I was suprised too at how light the bass weighed. Oh, maybe not so much the weight, but at how comfortable it felt. The two do go hand in hand, but I think more terms of "comfortable for 1 hour", "really sore after 2 hours".

It definately has that pleasing bolt-on punch also. The lower mid range on that El is one of my favourites too.

Man! I can't believe you lowered the action? I thought I played with low action... but if you've lowered it even more? LOL!
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow - those are three great basses!

8. The action was pretty low in the lower frets, as you had it. But in the mid-upper fret range it was much higher than I'm used to. I'm not used to playing other people's basses, but I do like really low action :cool:

Soundclip :D

This is in the mix of a song I did bass for, "2 Million People". I faded the volume levels in and out so you can hear the bass part a bit more seperately as well.

Recorded direct with a bit of the mid-mids boosted.
  9. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    cool stuff, nice low B
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    So you mean you took away some relief to lower the action in the upper frets, correct? (You had said you gave it a little more relief.)

That clip is great- very deep and growly yet contained lows.
  11. I'm confused now :p

I went lefty-loosey, whichever one that is. Just a little bit, 1/8th of a turn - And then lowered the action a bit. I don't usually do setups myself but it was pretty close to start with so I just fine-tuned it. I guess it evened out the difference between the action on the lower and upper frets...or something like that. Turned out perfect anyways. :)
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    You did indeed add relief (lefty-loosey) which adds more bow to the neck; doing so usually makes the action higher in the upper frets.

In general though, you can get the action lower when the neck is straighter, meaning less relief (righty-tighty), so that's what I had thought you'd done. It's always a balancing act though between action and relief, so whatever works best for you is what you should keep doing!
  13. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Low B strings sounds great. Funny how after playing that bass, it's easy for me to pick it out. I recorded a couple of tracks with it, I should try to post also. Unfortunately, I forget which tracks they were... :scowl: plus I didn't name them either. :scowl: :scowl: I guess that's what happens when you record stuff at 3am. :rolleyes:

Not to hijack this great Elrick thread but, Bryan I was wondering if you've adjusted the action on your 6? I've been thinking about trying to lower the action, but I've never messed around with two truss rods before. I've checked a couple of threads, but I'm not totally confident in doing it... the last thing I want is to mess up my necks.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    I've adjusted all of my basses numerous times. The dual rods on the six made me nervous at first because with my bad vision, I'm not able to look down the neck and see if it'd be level on both sides. I was just a little more careful to note how much I turned one rod and then did the same with the other. Even if one side was adjusted more than the other though, I'd probably notice it when playing, because the action/buzz relationship would be different on each side of the neck.

It was just this past year, in fact, after nine years of playing did I finally get to the point where I was confident and capable of adjusting my truss rods exactly how I wanted them.