Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (to me) Elrick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by caesarbass, Aug 11, 2005.

1. This is showing up at my house on Monday!!!! I sent it to Rob Elricks shop two weeks ago. It had some serious issues, the pink ivory fingerboard needed replacing, new nut, the neck needed to be re-epoxied, some of the electronics needed replacing, and I had him build an Ebony ramp for it. The original estimate was 2-3 months, and to my surprise it was finished in two weeks!!! Let me tell you, Rob Elrick is one cool guy. He answered my e-mails promptly, I think I e-mailed him a little too much, he was nice about it and wrote me back nonetheless. he was super professional and when all was said and done he did it for a very very fair price. I will post new pics as soon as I get the bass. I can't wait to gig and record with this bass. Even though the bass was nearly unplayable before I sent it back to get repaired, it was a serious tone monster...where'e FedEx???? By the way, it's supposed to be here just in time for my B-day!!! :hyper: :hyper:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are pics pre-repair.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats. Just curious, was this previous owner abuse? I own several Elricks and I gig with them frequently and they still look and play like new.

3. The fretboard dettaching itself was more than likely caused by exposure to extreme heat,i.e. bass in car trunk, in its case, during summer. I don't think the previous owner played the bass much so he didn't notice any of the damage, and it probably got worse over time. I'm really hoping this bass is gig worthy. It seems that everyone that owns an Elrick, or two, is really happy with their instrument and wouldn't hesitate gigging with it.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Or five;). Count me in that group. Unique basses IMO.

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Rob is a great guy.

Being in Canada and not having any Elricks around, he was very accomodating in helping select woods, pup configurations, specs for my basses. Every Elrick I've come across has excellent craftmanship and killer tone. He pretty much nailed "the sound" that I wanted from a bass and made it attractive, comfortable playability, and priced fairly. IMHO, of course. ;)

I had planned on driving down to Chicago to pick up my newest bass, but he was out of the city that weekend. It would have been nice to have met him in person. Maybe next bass? I already know the woods and configuration I want! :D

You're bass looks sort of familiar. I thought it was reviewed in Bass Player Mag. Oh, I think that it was a fretted with Spalted Top, or it was a fretless with a Flamed top, so I'm probably wrong.

Next in line: Bryan R Tyler! :) New ramp in hand?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It should be here today or tomorrow- I'm hoping today because I'm leaving for Ohio for a week tonight :)

I can't say enough nice thing about Rob's basses- he's a cool guy as well (he's built all the ramps for my Elricks and even threw in an extra one for free to make sure I got the right radius for a bass we weren't sure the radius of).

Good thread order so far as well-
    Brad owns 5
    C-5KO owns 4
    and I own 3

:D

7. Hey Bryan-I think he was making my ebony ramp at the same time yours was being made, he gave me an extra break in price since he was doing two at the same time. I want my bass!!!!
    I own 1....so far....

8. By the way: This bass was a Bass Frontiers magazine giveaway, my friend won it, lucky him. It was made in 1997 and I believe the giveaway was in late 97' or early 98'.

9. The new improved Elrick!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just got this bad boy back yesterday from Rob!!!! I have a new favorite LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Elrick!!!!! :D :bassist:
    Happy B-day to me!!!!

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    omg ceasar check out my profile , happy b-day to us.
    same day AND year :bassist:

btw i love elricks too , dont own one but my new Ken Lawrence fretless is a month away :D

12. That one month will feel like a year...hang in there though, it will be so worth the wait. I really like Ken Lawrence basses too, they are SWEET!!!
    Happy B-day to you too. :D

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks great! How does she play?

14. Oh man!!!! She plays GREAT!!! I'll post some recordings ASAP. For now I'm just tyring to play it as much as possible so I can get used to it...you know...that new bass break in period. I must say that the break in period isn't going to be that long, this is such a well made instrument that it is very easy to play, and the set-up is spot on. I'm really liking the pink ivory f-board, this is my first fretless with an unfinished board, all of my fretless basses have had a diamodkote fretboard. I really like the sound and the feel of the bare wood (there's a joke in there somewhere). It definitely has the mwah factor, even though most of it is in the hands. All in all, I couldn't be happier. Kudos to Rob Elrick..I sound like such a kiss ass.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Elricks have so much mwah is harder "not" to get it:D

16. Hey guys...just posted on the strings forum, but I thought I'd ask here too. What strings do you guys use on pink ivory f-boards? I really like the nickel roundwounds that came on the bass, but they're Elrick brand, and they're not available yet. Thanks.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Sunbeams, Ken Smith Burners or SIT, all Nickel rounds.

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't have an Elrick fretless, but I use DR Fatbeams for SS, and D'Addario XLs for Nickel.

Rob said that his strings should be available soon (Fall). I think he just has to work out small details like artwork/packaging.

19. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Is it just me, or are those pickup screws completely covered in rust?

20. You are correct and I'm getting them replaced Thursday!!!! They are really rusted...blaaahhhhh....... :eek: