1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to me fEARful 15/6/1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Carr, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Just got another Ron Anchak built fEARful 15/6/1. Wow. It is the first time I have really used it with my M9. Great pairing. :cool:

Wish Ron was still building. I'd order a sub—which I actually don't REALLY need. :bag: :hyper: :eek:

2. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Pic from Domestique's TB classified thread...

fEARful-front2-tx.

3. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks Commercial User

Jan 6, 2011
    Kansas
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    Ron's a good guy. And built cabs like a tank because of that coating. That's part of why he's out, he just had too much cost in it, not much profit.

4. I say get in touch with Leland there, and order a 15sub flat pack. You may not think you need the additional speaker, but I can tell you there is some magic in a dual woofer set up.

5. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I'm getting ready to build a 15sub...
    I bought the 3015LF Domestique had in the same ad. :D

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Nice. If you haven't tried both at once, you're about to acquire true magic. :)

One fEARful is great, two of them together are about 3 steps beyond awesome on stage.

7. +1

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The substantial Line-X coating gives these cabs added strength, stiffness, anti-vibration damping, and well yeah, weight—plenty of that.
    No matter. Just think of it as fashionable but tough, like thick prickly faux rhino-hyde.

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    How well do the 15/6/1 cross-overs work when paired with a fEARful sub115? :eyebrow:

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

Fine. They're designed to work perfectly with each other. :)

11. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow, you're leaving 12 town and heading to 15ville?:) Are you going to run in your 12/6s Or is it for PA? Just curious.

Depending on cost/size factor, what another 15/6? I think you'd have mirror the baffles, but the extra mid driver might help to keep up with those 15s. Almost like having a 66 but cut in half. :bag:

12. You eq the mids etc relatively higher than the lows, job done. I believe the mid driver is overspec'd to allow for twin subs.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    My mid has a pad on it that's switchable. The pad is off when I use both cabs, its no when I use one. The mid has more than enough beef to keep up with 2 3015LFs.

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    After years of preaching the 12/6 gospel, I guess it does seem heretical that I'm building a 15. :eek:

It'll be strictly for PA use. I'm not even putting the low pass filter in it. I've been using one of my 12/6s as a PA sub (my band doesn't perform at war volume) and decided it's time to build a dedicated box for sub duty.

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Does Leland do LineX coatng instead of Duratex paint?

16. I do not think he does, there are other builders out there though. One of them might consider a lineX coating, but you would have to contact them on a case by case basis or go over to the GB forum and start a thread.

17. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah.
    You really want the sub under there
    It makes it way more than 100% more awesomer

19. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks Commercial User

Jan 6, 2011
    Kansas
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    Nope. Closest linex dealer is 60 miles or so. TBH, I probably still wouldn't even if it was close. The cost was part of what got Ron out. Pretty hard to tack another 100 bucks or so onto an already premium cab.

Duratex, which I use, is tough, durable, and easy to repair. It's just not bombproof like LineX.

20. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    +1 I use Duratex on everything. It's kind of midway between paint and Line X: You never, ever need to repaint anything other than occasional dings, but it does get them. I also roller it on (I don't want a sprayer). After a little initial sticker shock, I realized a little Duratex goes a long way.