1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New (to me) Fender 810 Pro V2 ::thumbs up::

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mykk, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    My Ampeg SVT810E was picked up used and abused, I had a handful of shows on it in the six or so months I've owned it. One night during a rehearsal one of the 10" drivers blew out separating the cone from the from the cage. I paid a speaker repair shop in Hollywood to fix it and all was well. At the next show I played a different 10" blew out in the same fashion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figured it was time to put my SVT810 on the back burner and keep my eyes open for a replacement cab. Being in Los Angeles there is a plethora of music equipment circulating the craigslist ads daily. So every morning I would check for updates. One day I saw an ad for a Fender 810 Pro, The asking price was so cheap it was almost unbelievable and the pics showed a clean almost new condition cab. I did some online research regarding the cab and figured it was worth an investigation.

I go out to the guys residence, he opens the garage to unveil and a brand new Fender 810 V2 cab with not a mark on it, still has the guitar store smell. Best part is, he's asking less than a 1/3 of the price these things MAP/sell in the stores.

I take it, not even plugging it in or hearing it before. I figured the worst case scenario I could flip it for a couple more bucks if necessary.

[​IMG]

I take it to my work (A Hot Rod/Classic car shop in Long Beach, since I don't have the space or means at home to let her rip) plug it in to my head (Ampeg SVTII-P, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Crest VS1500) and start cranking while playing my EMG active Fender Jazz.

So here I am, on my lunch break playing my bass through my new cab crooning to a '34 Ford sedan.

The first reaction is a good one, the mids & highs sound much cleaner compared to the SVT, the lows are not as 'thud' as the previous cab but it seems the tone from the tubes in the Pre are more evident. I could simply just be making a ported vs sealed cab observation, but all in all I am really pleased with it and excited to start playing shows with it. It also feels I don't need to drive my power amp as hard to reach decent volume levels as previously and to me the aesthetics of the cab are more appealing that than the SVT, with it's steel mesh grill and bluish/grey speaker cones visible. Even the Fender logo has an industrial and polished 'hard' look that matches the Hot Rods in the shop that it happens to be currently sitting next to.

In my past, Fender bass amps/cabs have had a flimsy, cheap, shallow toned and being undesirable associated with them. I am glad to of been proven different.

Would have I of paid the $1300 price tag for the cab in stores. The thought never would have crossed my mind, even knowing what I know now. Perhaps the pricing is designed to keep the usage of these cabs rare, and as to not see them in every club with every band?

Cheers ~Mykk

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good luck with your new cab, and try not to blow drivers in it this time ;)

3. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    Thanks, I'll try. I'm have a bit more confidence in this cab since it's not as beat as the SVT was when I received it. Also, since I don't need to run as much volume dial through it to hit the same levels as the SVT hopefully it will prolong the life of the drivers

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No offense, but between your sonic maximizer and your 1500w power amp, I don't think it was being cosmetically beat that caused you to pop two 810e drivers.

5. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    You are probably right

6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Fender Pro’s are the bomb. Ya won’t find many reviews, probably because people don’t know how good they are and go to the more familiar bass-cab brands.

DSCN0456.

I wish I’d find a 215 for a good price. :)

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Where in the hell do you get to play that loud? :)

8. I'll give another vote for the PRO Fender cabs. I had a 210 which wss great, & I used a mates 115 which was cool too.

9. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    This is where I rehearse:

::AMP REHEARSAL::

and I play the clubs up and down the sunset strip in west hollywood. it gets pretty loud

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Stolen?

11. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    Maybe, but if someone is the type to steal wouldn't they also be greedy enough to try to get full asking price?

12. No, stolen gear is moved quickly by selling it cheap :eyebrow:

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +100

Their cost is 0. Their profit is 100%. They price it to move the illegal item out of their possesion.

"New store smell"?.......Really, come on now.:eyebrow:

14. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    Well, if anything every comes up I know where the dude lives.

15. +1 on the cab/Fender Pro series! My cousin has one in his band (Robbers On High Street), and really digs it.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    How do you know it was his house? You really don't. These people will often move stuff through a 3rd party or work out of a house that's un-occupied, foreclosed on, etc.

You should at least check with your local cops to see if any stolen gear reports have been filed that match the description, if for no other reason than to protect yourself. There's too much about your story that doesn't add up.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    It may have been someone's holiday gift. :bawl::atoz: