New (to me) Fretless 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, May 12, 2004.

1. Just picked up an Overwater, 6 string, fretless today, wasn't looking for a fretless at the time when I saw this last week but when I played it, it was incredible, one of the best fretless sounds for me, well suited to a small project i'm involved in and a good partner to my GB
    Overwater do make niiiice basses, went up there a few years back to pick a Warwick up and they had some nice 6 and 7 string basses in, most were fretless and sounded great!

A couple of pics, first with my GB and then a body close up

2. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Excellent find shore! Very nice! -Luke
  3. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Nice. I really like the little curve at the end of the fretboard.
  4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    ive always like some of overwater's stuff but never heard about how they play. looks great man congrats :)
  5. How does it play? I walked into a local music shop, as I do most weeks, to waste some time, drink coffee, play basses :bassist: etc, saw the Overwater on the wall, not looking for a bass at the time I didn't pay much attention, eventually picked it up and the first thing I noticed was how well / easy it played for a 6 string, me being a 4 string player! even unplugged it had a big sound, then, through a small GK combo and I nearly fell off the seat, one of the best fretless sounds I've heard come from my fingers, ever, classic fretless mmwwahh, the nice, subtle pre amp (unlike my GB :cool: ) gave a good range of tones even though it felt like the actual levels of boost / cut were low. So I bought it a week later, would have got it on the day, but I needed to work out the ££ :crying: . Thats how it plays!! I reckon thats the best way to buy a bass, when you don't want / need one, then if you drop on something like this and you end up getting into it, you know it's right!

I'll try and get some sound clips done in the next few days, could end up being a week though, I am the amazing busy person at the moment, with not enough time to play my new bass

6. After a good few days with this bass, I gotta say it rocks, sounds great, plays great and I reckon it looks cool too, want to work out what woods are used, not sure about the top, looks like maple but not 100% can anyone tell off the photos? I'm maybe thinking sycamore, the middle is mahogany by the look of it and the back is the same as the front!

7. Hey,

Very Nice Overwater you have ther :)...played a couple in my time but never a 6 string fretless..but i am sure it is just as nice as the others :)...

I am currently looking for a Partner for my GB as well....its either gonna be a Roscoe, Shuker or another GB....

Body does indeed look like figured maple....a lot of overwaters are this.. :)....

and remember the GB electronics blow anything into another sonic dimension..I still dance with joy when i play mine thro my EBS ..Bernie is a god.!!!...

I think we shud have a GB Collective :p....with overwaters included of course... ;)
  8. The Overwater is a great sounding bass, they do know how to get a good fretless sound out of their guitars.
    The GB is one of the best basses I've played, I've tried them several times at Music Live and when this one came up I had to do some serious money moves to get it, wouldn't mind a jazz style neck on it though, may get Bernie to make me another neck at some point or maybe I'll just get him to make me another bass!

Have you decided what you are getting to go with your GB, them Shukers look good and I've heard they sound good too, not too fasr from you either are they?

9. WOW, the Overwater is an incredible bass, one of the best sounding fretless basses I've played.
    Spent most of the time I've had it playing tracks I know well, In my opinion this is the best route with fretless when you ain't had one for a while
    Spoke to the guys at Overwater about the bass last week and they were able to give me a lot more ionfo about the design and how to use the electronics to best effect, it's based on a model called the Fusion bass, similar to the current Progress, Ash,front and back with a walnut core, electronics are pan,volume and a filter pot for each p/u (similar to Alembics but not as big a sweep) and a push / pull pot on the vol' which gives a subtle treble boost of 5dB (I think) that is very useable!
    This bss and my fretted GB are putting a large smile on my face at the moment!