1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New To ME G&L (a little help?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Draxx, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Yesterday I brought home a new (to me) G&L SB1 in pretty much mint condition (there are a couple of tiny scuff marks around the edges of the body and one on the headstock). I brought it home, changed the stings to Ernie Ball 50-110s and raised the action a little to match my P deluxe. I need to adjust the truss rod a little but aI am unsure of which way to turn it? If counter clockwise for more relief or less relief on a G&L?

Thanks guys, unfortunatly I don't have a camera so I can't but any pics up at the mo, but I promise I will as soon as I get my hands on one ;)

Its 3 Tone Sunburst with a Rosewood Board and Black P/G and is a real stunner!

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It's the same on all basses, I believe. It's clockwise for less relief, and counter-clockwise for more relief.
    Remember, you must loosen the truss-rod to allow the string tension to put more relief in the neck. You must tighten the truss-rod to resist the tension of the strings.
    I hope that is clear!
    RD

3. Yeh it is - thanks a lot.

I have only ever done it on my fender before, so I wanted to make sure before doing it to my new bass.

Sounds unbelievable by the way, it sounds like I wsih my USA P deluxe sounded like!! :bassist:

4. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Welcome to the G&L family, Joseph. The SB-1 is a great bass, despite its initials standing for "student bass" (with one pickup). Mine outdoes most of the Fender P's I've played.

Just remember the rules: no pics, doesn't exist. :bag:

Michael

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Exactly:D

6. No camera at the moment, but im going to try to get my hands on one cos I haven't made a "look at my gear post" since signing up ;)

So pix coming soon :)