Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New To ME G&L (a little help?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Draxx, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Yesterday I brought home a new (to me) G&L SB1 in pretty much mint condition (there are a couple of tiny scuff marks around the edges of the body and one on the headstock). I brought it home, changed the stings to Ernie Ball 50-110s and raised the action a little to match my P deluxe. I need to adjust the truss rod a little but aI am unsure of which way to turn it? If counter clockwise for more relief or less relief on a G&L?

Thanks guys, unfortunatly I don't have a camera so I can't but any pics up at the mo, but I promise I will as soon as I get my hands on one ;)

Its 3 Tone Sunburst with a Rosewood Board and Black P/G and is a real stunner!

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It's the same on all basses, I believe. It's clockwise for less relief, and counter-clockwise for more relief.
    Remember, you must loosen the truss-rod to allow the string tension to put more relief in the neck. You must tighten the truss-rod to resist the tension of the strings.
    I hope that is clear!
    RD

3. Yeh it is - thanks a lot.

I have only ever done it on my fender before, so I wanted to make sure before doing it to my new bass.

Sounds unbelievable by the way, it sounds like I wsih my USA P deluxe sounded like!! :bassist:

4. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Welcome to the G&L family, Joseph. The SB-1 is a great bass, despite its initials standing for "student bass" (with one pickup). Mine outdoes most of the Fender P's I've played.

Just remember the rules: no pics, doesn't exist. :bag:

Michael

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Exactly:D

6. No camera at the moment, but im going to try to get my hands on one cos I haven't made a "look at my gear post" since signing up ;)

So pix coming soon :)