1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New (to me) Gretsch 2202

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lopeha, Oct 26, 2018.

1. lopeha

lopeha Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Austin, AR
    Just pulled the trigger on this! $175 to the house! Looking forward to comparing it to my Squier VM Jaguar SS. s-l1600.

s-l1600.

2. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Congrats. Nice score. Been thinking about grabbing one myself. Keep us posted.

lopeha likes this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Nice find!
    Check out The OFFICIAL "Gretsch Bass Owners Club"
    @Pilgrim is a bit of an expert on Junior Jets
    I own 4 Gretsch basses but none are solid body

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Give us a review. There's one in a local CL.

5. lopeha

lopeha Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Austin, AR
    Bought it off Ebay, so won't get it until probably next weekend.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  6. Ah, the mighty 2202! The easiest way I can say it is that the 2202 punches way out of its weight class. That single pickup is a TV Jones design that Gretsch evidently had made for them by subterranean nomadic dwarves in Hookihawkistan. Or something like that.

At any rate, I think of the 2202 as a short scale P-bass with a different pickup. The single pickup is in just the right place, and it's a powerful pickup with a strong, robust low end. I think people look at them and wonder if they aren't too simple, but they're not. And they can really get down and rock. Great sound, lightweight bass, lots to like!

Mine had a warped neck, but I still hung onto it for a while. I ended up with a spare 2202 pickup that I installed in a Squier Bronco and it's one of my favorite basses. The Bronco has essentially the same setup as the 2202, except it looks like a Mustang. That Bronco is my salute to the 2202.

7. lopeha

lopeha Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Austin, AR
    Thank You Pilgrim for the response! Anxiously awaiting it's arrival!

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I just bought one of these too. It is an excellent bass, especially for $175. I haven't quite figured out where it fits in the sonic arsenal, though. I guess you could say it is P bass-esque, but I'm not sure how much I agree with that. It has just one pickup; I'll give you that. I think maybe I haven't found the right strings for it yet.

lopeha likes this.
  9. lopeha

lopeha Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Austin, AR
    While researching it I kept seeing D'Addario Chromes being mentioned as "bringing it alive". You might want to PM Pilgrim as he seems to be quite knowledgeable about G2202.

10. My choice is Labelle Deep Talkin' flats ,but Chrome should also be good. Just give them a couple of months to settle in.

Just to be clear - the 2202 doesn't sound like a P-bass I was comparing it in terms of simplicity and it's ability to work well in most situations.

11. lopeha

lopeha Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Austin, AR
    Pilgrim, where did you find the Deep Talkin Flats for short scale. I'm having trouble finding anyone that carries them.

12. They're out there, Juststrings.com carries them.
    Deep Talkin' Short Scale

13. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Congrats!!!
    I've been threatening to buy the two PUP model, but lord knows I don’t need another SS bass.
    On the other hand, it’s still for sale so maybe that’s a sign.

14. I think the two-pickup model of the original 2202 was a 1222, or something like that. If memory serves, it was 34". I had one until recently. Now I'm down to only three Gretsch basses!

Newer series models may differ, so YMMV.

15. OrvCraig

OrvCraig

Oct 28, 2011
    I have a 2202. My E string isn't as loud as the other 3 strings (acoustically or amplified). I've tried 4 sets of strings and just changed to a high mass bridge. No help. Ideas?

16. D-LiverIT

D-LiverIT

Feb 15, 2019
    New to here and new to bass. If anyone has one of these and wants to sell one or knows where one is for sale, please let me know. Thanks in advance.