New (to me) Hamer 2-Tek CruiseBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonote49, Dec 9, 2003.

1. The big brown truck brightened up my day yesterday when it dropped off my Hamer 2-Tek CruiseBass. It is a fine instrument that needed a little (gentle) TLC. The seller's (a dealer)description was accurate(dings, player wear, etc. nothing too bad). It was obvious that the previous owner knew very little about maintenance but after an hour or so I had her restrung, Schaller Strap Locks installed, had her set up to my taste and had tightened a few loose hardware items.

The bass is transparent white with a tortoise shell guard. The bass has aged to a butterscotch color. My first impression is that the 2-Tek bridge is an amazing piece of hardware; the bass sustains incredibly and, despite being more or less a bolt-on neck Jazz Bass clone, there are no dead spots. The build quality is excellent as is the hardware (2-Tek bridge, Schaller tuners, Seymour Duncan Bassline Vintage Jazz pickups). If anybody is looking for a great quality instrument that can be picked up relatively inexpensively, I'd recommend looking at one of these Hamer USA CruiseBasses.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Cool. I've wondered about these. Is it pretty heavy?
  3. It's not too bad, it weighs in at 9 lbs and 11 oz on the postal scale at work (where I had it delivered). The 2-Tek bridge is a massive piece of metal and weighs close to a pound by itself, if I remember correctly. The build quality is really top couldn't even come close to fitting a business card in the neck joint and the hardware/pickups are also excellent quality items. Basically, it is a Jazz Bass with all the niggling annoyances (except those related to single coil pickups) eliminated. These things listed for about $1,100 in the mid-90's, the Gotoh bridge model was about $100 less.
  4. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    So you're the lucky one who picked this up on ebay, I think it was last week. Buy it now for $400? Nice deal. I still was contemplating it when I saw that it had been sold. You snooze, you loose. Enjoy it!
  5. I've been using a USA Cruise w/2TEK for the past 5 years and I absolutly love it. It's a workhorse and I love the big phat sound I get from this beast.
    It is a bit heavy, I have a hump to prove it. But I like the solid feel of the beast.
    Everyone who has played mine always are impressed with it.
    Love that 2TEK bridge. I hear they didn't catch on because no one wants to cut a big hole in their bass to install them, but they are incredible.
    Great buy, these baby's are worth twice what they garner in auctions.
    The truss rod has a male hex nut which is different. I've always had female hex nut's for adjusting a truss rod. It's a little hard if you don't have the right sized tool.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I always hear good think about those Hamer Cruises, and would love to try one on for size, if it weren't for the Jazz neck (a wee too small for my meaty mitts of might).

Shame too, I even like the way they look.
  7. The bad news is that the seller didn't have the truss rod adjustment tool. It looks like a 5/16" socket should do the trick but I'll probably have to dream up a way to turn the socket because a nut driver or ratchet won't fit into the groove where the adjustment is.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Interestingly, Carvins have a male nut as well, IIRC. They sell an adjustment tool for it. Might be worth checking into.
  9. Very interesting indeed. I'll have to pick one up.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Pedullas also have a male hex nut, but I don't remember the size. If you don't have any luck with the Carvin being the right size, give Pedulla a call.
  11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
  12. A Cruise 5 2TEK was my first good bass, and my only bass for three or four years. Never had any problems with its sound or playability. These are really an excellent value.
  13. I had a fretless one. It was black with a pearl pickguard and a matching black headstock with a (lightly) lined ebony board. It looked slick! The only reason I got rid of it, is because I got a great Pedulla Buzz that had been custom built for a guy that worked for Tobias.

The cruisebass is probably the best bass deal on the market. You should have heard the 2Tek with a fretless!! Mwaaaaahhhhh! I know someone who has one of the Peavey Axcellerator 2T. It has the 2Tek, and it is pretty somkin'.
  14. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I had one of these that I played exclusively for about 4 or 5 years. In fact, I still might have that wrench you are looking for. I will do some looking over the weekend. The only thing I didn't like about this Bass was changing strings. New ones were no problem but cleaning or boiling them and trying to get them through the body again is tough.
  15. Maybe we should start a Hamer Cruise bass appreciation thread?

I think it is one of the most overlooked underrated basses on the market. A steal of a deal.
  16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I apologize for the delay in getting back to this. The nut size on the truss rod of my Hamer TEK is 5/16" and you can get the wrench from
  17. Thanks, I appreciate your help.
  18. Spiketronic

Dec 18, 2003
    San Francisco
    I played the Hamer 2teks for about 3 years, fretted and fretless. They are the only basses, to my knowledge, to ever garner a perfect 25 score In Bass Player magazine. Truly the best value around. Both were stolen so I ordered a custom made modern 4 fretless with ebony board from Lull. Great as the Hamers were, the Lull is a WHOLE other order of business.
  19. WOW I did not know they earned the only 25 point score. And to think they are still a relativly obscure bass.