New to me Hoyt Custom 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshB, Feb 21, 2006.

1. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

After getting a few complaints on my red sparkle ASAT, (too distracting...bah, what do they know?) I emailed Brian down at The Low End and asked about a trade for the Hoyt custom 4 he had on his site. After reaching an agreement, I shipped off the ASAT.

I got the Hoyt last Friday, an hour before I had to head out of town. I only played it a little bit but was impressed with the acoustic sound of the bass. For the record, specs on the bass are as follows...the bass has top and bottom plates of spalted maple, front and back veneers of 1/16” purpleheart, and a core of cherry. The core has chambers installed in it to help keep the bass light as well as add to the punch of the bass. Maple neck, indian rosewood fingerboard with matching spalted maple faceplate. It has Kent Armstrong humbuckers with a Bartolini NTMB preamp I believe.

When I got back, I went immediately to band practice for church as well as playing at our college service. I was very impressed with the balance of the bass as well as the playability. I also found out very quickly that it only takes a very light touch to get a great sound out of this gal. Digging in near the bridge pickup yields some great burpy tone. It also has a great slap tone with the volume full on and everything set flat.

I'll be giving it a thorough workout tomorrow during my practice time. As is the rule, no pictures, no here's a few pictures...

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I almost beat you to this one...I went with a Lakland Deluxe Skyline 44-02 instead. I probably should have gone with the Hoyt as I just shipped the Lakland off in a trade today for a Lull MV4.

You have a nice bass there - enjoy!

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nice looking bass.

4. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

Thanks guys!
  5. Beautiful bass!

Play it in good health man ^_^
  6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    That bass sounds really great, congrats! How are those Kent Armstrong pickups, anyways? Ive never had a chance to play them, and a lot of people seem to use them, but I haven't ever heard anything about them. What kind of tones do they put out? Are they high output? etc...
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I get to check it out Friday! NYAAAAAA!

:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

:D :D :D :D

Oh yeah, sweet bass... :)
  8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars