1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New (to me) Lakland US Joe Osborn 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, May 30, 2007.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well, after a few weeks of waiting for Royal Mail to get their incompetant shipping and customs procedures out of the way, I finally received my new (to me) Lakland Joe Osborn 4. Its an absolutely sweet natural ash with birdseye maple fingerboard. Its been modded by Mike Lull with Nordstrand NJ4SE's and an Aguilar Obp-1 with a passive tone control. Here are the full specs:

Model: U.S. Lakland Joe Osborn 4 String (est. 2005 build date)
    Serial Number: JO335
    Case: Hardshell Included (original crème G&G case in excellent condition)
    Made In: Chicago, IL USA

Construction:
    Neck: Quarter-Sawn Rock Maple with Graphite Reinforcement Bars
    Fingerboard: Birdseye Maple with Ebony dots
    Body: Swap Ash with black pickguard
    Finish: Natural (nice grain!)
    Nut: Bone

Dimensions:
    Nut Width: 1.5" 1.8"
    Fret Size: .041/.085"
    Width at Final Fret: 2.48"
    1st Fret Neck Depth: .77"
    12th Fret Neck Depth: .94"
    Fingerboard Radius 10"
    Scale Length 34"
    Frets: 20
    Bridge String Spacing: .78"
    Weight: 8.8 lbs.

Electronics:
    Pickups: Nordstrand NJ4SEs
    Preamp: 18-volt OBP-1 preamp
    Controls: Volume, blend, tone control (that pulls up to bypass the preamp), and stacked bass/treble boost

Hardware:
    Bridge: Lakland Dual Access (through body or through bridge)
    Tuners: Hipshot Tapered Shaft, Reverse Gearing (does NOT have optional Hipshot D-Tuner)
    Chrome Pickup cover included (currently not installed)

I got the bass of Bryan - CaptainWally on the forums who was a top guy to deal with. I am still at work at the moment so will need to take some pics and have a play when I get home, but I am totally excited about this bass.

[​IMG]

2. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Very nice!

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Pretty sexy, my man.

4. I like that model in natural. very class.

5. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Really beautiful!
    Congrats!

6. Don't cheat on her. She hot!

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The problem is she's my "tide me over" bass until my MTD 535 arrives later this year. I have been without a bass since I moved to the UK and needed to get my chops back in order until my MTD arrives. So in a sense, this is the rebound fling until my "wife" arrives! :D

Although, after tonight I feel it may be hard to let go of this one when the MTD arrives and I may have to keep both! :D

8. Congratulations. Don't forget to join the LOG.

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thats the sexyiest color/fretbouard/pickguard combo IMO for a jazz bass. I'm drooling over here.

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    This is one bass I wish I would've kept.:ninja:

11. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses

one of the finest "tide me over" basses ive ever seen.i also love the jo in a natural finish.nice score!

12. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very nice, congrats! I'm not typically a fan of natural finishes, but I really like this bass. I was amazed it took as long to sell as it did.

13. WOW

There you have a big weapon! COOOOOOOOL!

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Enjoy Mark , still going for the MTD ?

15. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    That's what's HOT!

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I wanted that bass when I saw it for sale, I have a Skyline very similar to it and can only imagine how much better the US counterpart feels.
    Agreed. :D

laklandrug2.jpg

lullcarpet2small-1.jpg

17. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    those block inlays look real tacky on that bass o_O

18. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    No they don't.

19. Stunning JO! Killer grain! Sure is a killer combo. How do the nordy pups sound?

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Definitely, I am waiting for it to start production which will hopefully be around June and if I am lucky I will see the finished product around October / November. Maybe in time for my birthday! :D :D

The bass is absolutely stunning and I was playing it a fair bit last night. However tragedy stuck as I wasnt able to make it to a bass store last night to get a lead (I have been without a bass since I got to the UK) and so I could only play the bass acoustically as I don't have an amp, only my cafe walter and my recording gear in the UK. However the bass looks even better in person than it does in the pictures - its absolutely killer. The neck profile is fantastic and the bass is so lightweight compared with the other ash/maple jazz basses I have had (2 marcus millers) and lighter than my Hotwire (alder / maple). Its a joy to play.

There is a little bit of fret buzz and I will need to do a setup once the neck has had time to adjust to the UK temperate. Its probably a bit of a shock coming from sunny California to London in the space of a few days! :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021