Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (to me) Pedulla Rapture J 2000 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by winston, Nov 1, 2005.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Just picked up this sweet Pedulla Rapture the other day over at the Dudepit. Gerry Tyler, my bass teacher from my high school days (southern Connecticut in the '80's) had a heavily customized MVP4 that played and sounded great. The Guitar Center near me always has at least one Rapture in stock and I've always loved these basses. Knowing the low resale value that Pedullas had I've passed on buying new, waiting for the perfect used specimen....

...which came along last week. Excellent condition, Arctic blue, 19mm spacing, AA maple top & birdseye FB, Bartolini J's with 2 band pre, plus OHSC.

I also own an F-Bass BN-5 so my "SuperJazz" standards are sky-high. The F-Bass is a bit more tweakable, with passive tone, 3-band EQ and single/coil humbucker switch, but the Rapture is very versatile. The B is phenomenal--it's not "great for a 34-inch scale bass," it's just plain great.

The pickups are interesting--the neck sounds more like a P than a J--barky with lots of upper-mid detail---and the bridge PU is very fat sounding even with the EQ set flat. Most J bridge PUs sound a little thin for my tastes, but not on this baby. I've had a chance to try the P-J version of this bass on several occasions and found I preferred the J-J by a good margin.

After tweaking the bridge and truss rod I've gotten the action very low. ergonomics are perfect for me--it's light, comforatable and easy to get around. Neck is just chunky enough to have some heft, but very playable. Upper-register access is great.

It came with fresh Pedulla stainless steel strings. I've mainly used nickels for the last few years but these steel strings give the instrument an incredible full-frontal punch that's aggressive but not harsh. I also tried some Pedulla nickels on it which mellowed the tone considerably. I'm curious to see how TI Jazz Flats or Rounds would sound on this baby.

So far I've played her at a straight-ahead jazz trio gig through a GK 200MB combo, and a Brazilian jazz rehearsal through a GK 400RB/EA Wizzy. Sounded full, clear, and funky. This is just one of those instruments that makes me wanna play.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I play a bass from a different brand with -almost- the same specs, and I love it.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeha they are great basses I have one in black with matching h/s tuxedo style, the neck is amazing

Theres a pic link in my sig, but that is one sexy bass you have there

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That is gorgeous. I love Raptures too. Enjoy!

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You know that looks exactly like the Pedulla bass I used to own (which has been to a few TBers since I traded it away). Here's a pic of the bird's eye neck from mine. Compare the figuring from your picture and mine and tell me it isn't an exact match. :)

[​IMG]

If it is the same bass, it was an excellent instrument. My wrist just couldn't handle the wide neck or it would still be mine.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I often miss the old J2 5er that I sold, great basses. I tried the TI Jazz Flats on mine for a while and it was a very nice sound especially in the upper registers, very sweet sound.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Great bass.
    Was my main bass for 5 years.
    Now play Mike Lull P-5

8. winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yup, exact match--that's the one! I got it from Todd 4ta on the Dudepit. When I saw it there I did a TB Rapture search and found that this "promiscuous Pedulla" had been around. I think it's found it's proper home at last.

Left wrist comfort has always been the deciding factor for me on extended-range basses. I've found that if I can wrap my hand around the neck around the 7th fret and touch my thumb to my middle fingertip, it's all good. I had a Peavey Cirrus 6---loved it, but swapped it for for a fretless 5 a week later. Don't even know what I was doing when I bought a used Conklin GT-7...but I made $150 bucks selling it so it worked out OK.

Just curious, where is Deer Crossing in CT? (wise guy answer is "everybody's backyard"). I grew up in Darien, now my folks live in Newtown.

Just wondering what you thought of the low B on the TI Flats. When I tried it on my F-Bass it seemed to have a little less detail than the other strings, though I did not leave it on long enough to break in. Did you ever find yourself missing the roundwound sound? I now have the TI flats on a Godin P-J 4 and they sound/feel stellar.

9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Awesome bass!

:)

Dig that nice wide, flat neck :)

10. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to the club. I simply love mine and will never part with it.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Question for you Pedulla experts: Does the T-Bolt have the same neck as the Rapture?

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If not the same then very very simmilar. Felt the same to me.

13. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Thunderbolts have a slighly slimmer neck than the Raptures in the 4 and 5 string narrow models. Same neck specs for the wide spaced 5 string. Also construction is different for the Raptures and the Thunderbolts. Raptures have a one piece maple neck (I think this is true for all models) whereas the Thunderbolts have a 2 or 3 piece neck.

14. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    +1. Also, the 'Bolt is attached using countersunk bolts and the whole heel is highly contoured and sculpted. The Rapture neck heel is similar to a Fender Jazz bass, with a 4-bolt neck plate.

Lonnybass

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I love me some Pedulla's..... If a J2 or Thunder-something comes up used in a wide fiver I'll grab it if I have the money free....

Possibly my favorite fretted bass.

However, I don't really like their fretless..... ?????

16. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    It's probably the coated fretboards of the Buzz basses that is turning you off. Most people really love the sound it helps impart ,but there are plenty who don't care for it. You can, however, get ANY of Mike's basses in a fretless without the coating. Unfortunately it'd probably be fairly tough to get ahold of a non-buzz fretless to demo. :(

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Deer crossing is what the name 'Hart-ford' means. Hart = deer and ford = crossing. I live outside of our illustrious state capital city.

18. winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    For some reason Pedullas are available for very reasonable prices on the used market. I got my Rapture--with AA maple top, birdseye fingerboard, and the original case--for less than 1/2 the cost of a new black Rapture with no case and plain maple FB at my local GC.

I don't mind the coating on the Buzz FB but all the Buzzes I've played have been P-Js, and I've had a hard time dialing in a tone I liked. I'd love to hear a JJ or soapbar Buzz, or any fretless Pedulla with an uncoated FB.