New (to me) Pedulla ThunderBolt 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by winston, Mar 14, 2006.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Well, for the first time ever I bought something off eBay. I've had my eye out for a good 34" narrow-spaced 6 string for some time. I had a Peavey Cirrus 6 and the 35" scale was just too long for me. I've tried some beautiful 6's but something like a Roscoe is just so enormous-35" and super-wide. I like the feel of the Ibanez 6's I've played but don't like the electronics. I could probably deal with a Ken Smith or F-Bass 6 but didn't want to spend that much $$$.

I've always had a soft spot for Pedullas. The used Rapture J-2000-5 I bought a few months ago has edged out my F-Bass BN5 as my go-to bass. A couple weeks ago I was checking out BassNorthwest's website and saw a beautiful blue-green quilted/burst Pedulla ThunderBass 6. It was more expensive than I could handle so I searched eBay and found a very reasonably priced red ThunderBolt 6. I followed it for a week-no bids. In the last 4 minutes someone placed a bid, and in the last 15 seconds I put in the winning bid.

As I waited for the bass to arrive, I was kinda nervous, having heard some eBay horror stories here. But the seller seemed solid, and the bass arrived today very well packed and exactly as represented.

It's great condition for a '95--very few dings, frets are in great shape, hardware/electronics OK. I replaced the gross coated strings with some new Pedulla steels, changed the battery, gave her a polish, and put on some StrapLoks. The neck is one of the most comfortable 6's I've tried and the bass is no heavier than my Rapture, balancing very well.

This bass sounds huge. It has volume, pickup blend, passive tone, and a "Thunderguts" switch that selects between a slightly scooped sound and a powerful, throaty mid-rich tone. I feel the setup suits the Bart humbuckers well. Through my Eden WT-400/Bergantino HT-112 it sounds full and clear--warm but detailed. Think I'm gonna try her out at a funk/hip-hop gig this Thursday. More later--gonna play now.

2. guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    :hyper: Congratulations on your new bass! Your Pedullas are beautiful!
  3. Congrats on a lovely bass.
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Congratulations! Pedullas are a bit of an unsung brand, but on the upside they can be had for a great deal on the used market.
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Looks killer ... I don't know exactly what the EQ curve is on thunderguts .... but it sure makes a bass sit in the mix well! That switch is like "down for polite, up for punch through".

I kick myself daily for selling an ET-6 years ago. And what I sold it for!! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet score!! I love Pedulla basses!!
  7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've always been a fan of Pedulla basses. Enjoy it!
  8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Nice score, Winston! Congrats! I've been gigging my Thunderbolt 4 for the last two years. It is one of the punchiest, clearest basses I have ever played. It really "sits well in the mix" as they say, but it also punches through at the same time. Here's a pic of mine... AAA Vintage Cherry 'burst with birdseye maple fb.

btw, are you missing the trussrod cover? Contact Mike and he'll hook you up.

Attached Files: