1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to me Squier Deluxe Jazz V, truss rod nut stripped

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by progrmr, Oct 28, 2015.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just got this bass and the action was terrible. It's used and not on great shape. Biggest problem is that the truss rod nut is stripped, meaning that my Allen wrench keeps slipping.

I've spent about $60 on tools to see if I could get it to tighten up including the gripper wrench from stewmac. The nut is totally stripped.

Of course the best Luther in own just went into semi-retirement and isn't doing this kind of work anymore.

The headstock is painted so I'm sure to mess it up if I try to remove that glued in piece and get a new nut on there. I'm not sold on the ebanol fretboard so I was also considering buying a new neck.

Anyone dealt with this before?? Think I can fix the existing neck w/o being an experienced repair guy??

2. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    I see no point to repair current neck at this point.

BUT it may be possible to replace the nut if the truss rod isn't "dual action". Can you see the nut itself? Or maybe make some photos.

3. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm 99% sure it's not dual action but I'll have to look into that

4. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've fixed bunk truss nuts by pounding a Torx bit into them and creating a new truss nut interface.
    Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 1.36.23 AM.
    (This is a Torx)

It was cheap, it worked great, and I'd do it again if confronted by the same issues.
    If you do get rid of the neck, let me know. I'm always looking for projects like these to learn on.

5. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well at this point I'm gonna try your idea :). But yea if nothing works I'm going to find a replacement and I'll let you know. I could send to you for shipping costs only. Or hell, you're in Cleveland I could drive up to McD's at the 71/Mansfield exit and hand it to ya!

6. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Sounds good! I'd be down for that. :thumbsup:
    I hope it works for you though.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Out of curiosity, what ever came of this?