1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to me SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by einer von meane, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hey Y'all,

I wanted to pass along a quick story and ask a quick question or two.

The other day I was looking through the used Ampeg gear page on the GC website. I saw an SVT CL in Memphis for $699 and I assumed something was busted :eyebrow:.

I called and spoke with a very helpful guy Kato who assured me that the only thing busted was a knob. Well that was a no brainer, and since they gave me 12 months with no interest to pay it off... well you do the math.

I was thinking either a USA 4 Pro or a Vietnam CL... I sure am glad I went all tube.

Oh yeah, the best part is it is a USA made SVT CL :hyper:

Nice huh?

My new amp arrived yesterday and plays/ sounds killer. Sorry but I like the newer sound of the CL over the "real SVT" but I grew up in the 80's... what can I say besides Shout @the Devil :rolleyes:.

Guitar Center has always been good to me and a big thank you to them, I will continue to be a loyal GC customer.

So the question is run my 2 8 ohm cabs daisy chained into one speaker jack... Run one cab to one speaker jack and one to the other... Or use the speakon connector?

Thanks for being a great forum.

Einer Von Meaner

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I am pretty sure that by then, the SVT-CL was designed to take two 8 ohm cabs in each speaker out. Earlier SVT's weren't, but I'm 85% sure that the SVT-CL can.

BTW, I totally agree with you that the CL is a great head and underrated by the tube-heads on here. I prefer the non-master volume SVT's because I'm old, but I would gladly take a CL any day of the week.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yeah the SVT-CL jacks are paralleled so hooking them up to each jack or as a daisy chain would give you the same 4 ohm load.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I just checked the schematics - all three output jacks (two 1/4" + speakon) are in parallel.

5. There has to be some kind of an impedance switch or auto switching inside to run either 4 ohm or 2 ohm loads right? There's got to be some kind of impedance matching circuit in those.

6. yeah there is a switch for 2 or 4 ohms.