Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to me SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flipper, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Hey kiddies,
    Just had to gloat a bit. Just scored an SWR Baby Blue 2 (2x8, 1x5). $410 shipped. Should have it Tuesday, let y'all know how it works out.....pretty freakin' stoked!!!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Let me know if it lives up to the legend/hype? I keep thinking about trying to score one...

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I have a chance to get just the old cabinet (2x8, 1x5).

4. Absolutely, been a little leary about laying out major $ on hype. This was a good deal and I talked to Tom Bowlus about it as well. I think that guy has forgotten more about gear/tone than most of us will ever know. Looking forward to trying out different combinations with this little rascal. Thinking about a Schroeder 1x12 lite already. I wanna be the guy who says "you can gig with a BB."

5. Hey Bug,
    Lemme know if it falls through, I might be interested...

6. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    It'll be a few weeks before I take a look at it again...I've got to pay off my Mesa 400+.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Baby who? That sort of rings a bell... :p

8. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    So they say that amp has the best pre amp swr ever put out, my friend likes his better than his eden. Then again i think old swr's are edens.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh, yeah, now I remember that BBII, and it is also my favorite SWR product. :)

10. :crying: :bawl: don't even get me started!!! I want it back so bad. They pulled it due to some 'production issues" and I email SWR all the time. They need to bring the preamp back as a standalone ..... I miss you pre/power setup...

11. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Yeah I was pretty bummed when they stopped selling just the head.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    BBII 2x8:
    I love this amp! I find it to be really dang clean and accurate. It was built to be a "studio reference amp," and all the components were hand picked to higher values than the rest of the swr line. Speakers were developed with/by Bag End.

Yes, you can gig with this amp, just not real loud! I use mine for DB in jazz/R&B groups, typically with piano, sax, bass, drums. In this context it works really well. You must be playing with folks who understand that good music does not require the audience to wear earplugs, and that good music has a broad dynamic range. If this is you, it's a great small/med venue gig amp.

I never used an extension cab with it: to me, a big part of the attraction here is "the one handed combo." I can walk into the job with my DB on a shoulder strap, and the BBII in the other hand.

It records well too;)

13. Yeah, but that Epifani UL 1x10 would probably sound pretty sweet....

14. ICI

ICI

Mar 8, 2006
    1. Was there a Baby Blue I?
    2. What cabs/combos/versions of the heads have there been?
    3. What are the, "desirable" combinations of the above TO YOU and why?

Recently taking an interest in this amp and though i've searched, I didn't find any definative answers. Thanks okay!

15. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas

The 8" speakers in the original BB were Bag Ends as was the 5". In the BBII, the 8''s are Celestions and I believe towards the end of production, they switched to Eminence. The 5' is still a BE. The original 8" BE's had rubber surrounds that decayed and fell apart over time.

The original speaker config had an 8ohm imped for output of 120 watts. The BBII speaker config is 4ohm for output of 160 watts. That, with a vent on top for the amp, is the difference between the original and the BBII.

16. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas

1. The was the original called the Baby Blue.

2. Baby Blue, Baby Blue(head only), Baby Blue II, Electric Blue II(head only version), Each had a version of an extension cab of the some config as it's respective combo.

3. BBII and Electric Blue are my personal preference. The amps of the earlier versions are all the same. The 8" speakers are no longer available but recone kits for the Celestions are. The EBII also sounds great with my EA CxL-112s. These are personal prefernces of course.

17. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I once played a Baby Blue with a Aguilar 112 extension with a 5 piece rock/funk band. Worked very well, loud enough and warm yet focused sound. One of the best little combos I have played

18. The BBII has a different grill, a removable power cord, it is actually blue (the original was black) and it used different drivers (Eminence or EV, versus Bag End in the first gen.). The BBII is rated for 10 more watts (160w versus 150w), but they sound about the same, volume wise.

I copied and pasted the info above from a PM sent by Tom Bowlus.

Theres also the Baby Baby Blue, 1x10 and a bullet tweeter. I almost ended up with one of these but I found the BB2 cheaper. There seems to be almost nobody that prefers the BBB to the BB2. I haven't AB'd them so I can't really say. I guess the older models have more speaker surface area, but it would seem that the 1x10 would hold lower freqs.

19. Thanks for the links. That was a pretty interesting review. Maybe I'll look for another one and give that a shot. Day after tomorrow.....and I'll probably be on the road for work:(