Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (to me) Vigier passion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Dec 30, 2004.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Hi everyone

As you may know I have had to re-shuffle my collection recently. I am doing pretty well; have got a fair ammount of serious intrest in the Marleaux and traded the Bossa this morning for the bass to replace them both. As you may also know my most recent pre-crash bass was a Vigier passion III fretless bass made in 1995. I am totally in love with it and so jumped at the chance to have an almost matching fretted Vigier. It is a 1988 version which means it has the 100% carbon thru-neck (newer models have 10% carbon and 90% wood neck thru). The origional owner possibly got the bass without the origional benedetti pickups as fitted to my f'less because for some reason it had a set of p-bass pickups installed :? . Eubassix, the legendary geezer whom I got the bass from set about bringing her back and beyond her origional power with a set of basstech humbuckers married to a marleaux 2 band pre-amp.

What can I say, the thing is amazing. Amazingly clear and growly due to the carbon neck, also the loudest bass I have played!! Krikey! anyone who is a fan of stingrays would do well to check one of the passion basses out; Imagine having essentially a 4 coil 'bucker right at the bridge and you are close!

Here are some pics:

Headstock:
    [​IMG]

Whole bass PRE-MOD:
    [​IMG]

Body after mod:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Will upload samples to my website in a couple of hours.. www.freewebs.com/harvestersbasses

Cheers

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
  3. Very nice! I had its' silverburst brother about five years ago. The Passion just seems to float in the air as you play it, doesn't it?
    Mine had passive electronics, so I was dissatisfied with the sound, but not the point where I'd split a P pup between the pickup positions--an EMG Select is just an insult to the bass.
    Enjoy,
    KFS

4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Cool, do you have any pics of it?

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Nice acquistion!! It's in very good shape!
    Enjoy,

Slug

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's a beautiful bass! I want one :bawl:

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Wonderfull bass, it looks great for a 16 yrs old bass.

Ive been gassing for a passion since i started playing the bass, IMO is one of the most beautiful and cutting through basses out there.

8. I don't think so, Chris, but I'll check.
    Why the hell would you want to look at silverburst anyway (laughing)?

9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks peeps, here are 2 more pics which do it more justice. Simply amazing sound, as you say it cuts through but with warmth and clarity like nothing else. Superb neck.

Cheers

Chris

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would love to see some more pics of Vigier basses, silverburst and all!! I know they are rare in the states tho (and here in the UK actually) but has anyone got any pics?

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yowza! I want more pics of that metal-board fretless! What's the scoop on that? Super durable? Slick? Neck heavy?

By the way -- post mod, that fretted is gorgeous. Great job!

11. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Hello mate thanks for the kind words; The delta-metal is indeed gorgeous and super durable too. I am using Marleaux roundwound steels on it with no problems and amazing tone. Details can be found at the Vigier website at www.vigierguitars.com and as for more pictures, have a look at the link in my second post and at my website www.freewebs.com/harvestersbasses

Cheers
    Chris

P.s the f'less is a tad heavier (will weigh them later) due probably to the wood and graphite neck as opposed to the pure graphite fretted and the metal fingerboard, although it is not neck heavy, it feels like it floats in the air, as KUNGfuSHERIFF rightly pointed out