Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new (to me) Zon Sonus Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Feb 19, 2003.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, Daichi, the man with the big brown truck rolled up this morning while i was at work! yeehaw! this bass really rocks. for anyone who has never tried a zon, i urge you to check them out. they are really great basses, and can be had for really reasonable deals on the used market. i'm getting a really great deep, punchy sound out of this bass in particular...it can get pretty zingy too ;) this is the bass used in the tune in DarkMazda's sig--maijgnim (or something like that ;) ). i can get pretty much any sound in between as well. the only other zon i've tried was a legacy elite fretless 4 string that was at bass northwest for a couple months. AWESOME bass, btw. it's my opinion that the composite necks on zons feel like a wooden neck that has a finish on it. i also think that a really organic tone can be achieved, too. but don't worry, if you want it to sound sterile, it can. a really versatile instrument. something for everyone--almost.

when i first opened up the case (don't worry Daichi, the pack job wasn't all _that_ ghetto ;) hee hee) i was like...oh dear lord! upon a pretty close inspection, it looked like it had seen some pretty heavy use and may have doubled at one point in time a baseball bat :D the only _real_ flaw, however, was a small crack that appears to only be in the finish (but i can't tell) on the lower horn side of the neck joint. there are some other pretty large finish cracks, but i hardly feel ripped off...this bass is really awesome...structurally it looks perfect with the exception of that one crack. did i mention how well this bass plays and how great it sounds? man, i'm stoked...ok, i'm gonna go take a couple pics and post them...it should only take a few minutes :D

it was great doin' business with ya, Daichi if anyone ever buys or considers buying anything from this guy, he's really straightforward about what you are going to get....like maybe if he decides to sell the legacy he just got maybe? j/k man

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Never even knew there was acrack there Dave!! :eek: :eek:

:spit:@UPS

Im glad you like it! I really loved the bass as well.. only thing was the neck bothered me...

Most of those "finish blemishes" were there when I recieved it from Stroy as I told you on the phone

People on TB: neptoon(dave) was a really nice fellow to deal with. Definitely a really funny guy as well.. Spent about 4 hours talkin to him on the phone to get the business right, talkin about TB etc..

I had one a great time doin business with you Dave.. I hope this bass will do well in your recording and take those pics!!

DM

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Whoa.. those pics look better than when I took them!!!!

DM

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey Daichi! what up yo...yeah, this is great, man. i'm diggin' it. i'll be able to get a great sound out of this bass. thanks again, man :D

here are some imperfections i found, but hey, it's all good! i could really care less about them, really, as i'm more of a function over form kinda guy anyway...

this is the only flaw that concerned me:

[​IMG]

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Wow dave.. thats the first time I ever seen that one... im dead serious... hmmm....

weeird... hopefully it wasn't the weather..

If I would have seen that, I would've notified you about it.. im sorry Dave

DM

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yeah, that bubinga really jumps out...awesome grain....the other surface stuff i'm not even gonna show here....it's just so awesome. it has that really tight "versatile residue intro" tone to it that just seems to cut. two gigs next month and two recording sessions prior to that! vee shall cee hee hee

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dude, i'm shinin' my military issue flashlight in around that crack (if anyone knows what a surefire light is, that's what i'm usin' :D ) and it doesn't go to the wood...here was this one there when you shipped? ::

[​IMG]

really, man...don't sweat it...this thing went through some serious weather especially going through illinois by ground. it's no skin off my nose...i got a great deal, crack or no...you can only see them at the right angle anyway.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    that was DEFINITELY not there! And I took pics to prove it.. I even used flash.. I have NEVER seen those.. probably the weather... I shipped it right before the blizzard came in.. and 1 week of shipping through cold weather coudl've done it

:(

DM

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    and I have never seen the crack next to that huge crack either :(

Damnit.. I should've shipped it later.. im sorry it came to you like this dave

DM

Remember Dave, i played this bass for a year and I have NEVER seen any of those cracks you have mentioned..

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey man...it's cool! seriously! when i saw them i was like...darn cold! hee hee no prollem, man

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    [​IMG]

Example: This is the pic I took.. with FLASH.. should see the crack.. since the reflection of the flash hits right where the crack is :(

DM

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I was just talkin to Peter McFerrin and he said its probably because of the cold weather, climage/humidity changes etc..

im sooo sorry Dave :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, nothing either of us could do, man...circumstances beyond anyone's control. i knew none of these existed when it shipped. i'm still happier than a pig in mud :D

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    im glad Dave.. hopefully there is someway to fix those cracks.. thank god Joe puts on LAYERS of Finishes..

enjoy the bass! :D waiting for clips now

DM

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    neptoon, those all look superficial. You should be able to take the bass to any decent luthier and he should be able to make that bass look like new with just a touch up. I'd recommend doing that so that they don't progress further. Weather extremes are very rough on any instrument's finish. The last bass that I bought from the other coast I paid the extra $$$ for 3-day Select shipping.

I think that you got a great bass and a very nice looker, at that. I'm really digging bubinga tops, these days. I think that DM will miss that bass. He was getting some great sounding stuff with it from what I heard.

Hey, I just remembered that you live in Washington. How close are you to Mike Lull's shop? That's where I'd take that bass.