1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to modifying, would like some help....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stix_clgi, Mar 4, 2008.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    My fellow bassists!
    I recently bought a Squier Deluxe Jazz bass, the 5 stringer with active electronics. It's in the Olympic White finish and it's being setup as we speak. I really love the way it sounds, especially for the price. Now....I don't know a whole lot about accessories for basses, (bridges, tuners, pickups, preamps, etc.) so I'd like some suggestions.

A lot of people modify Squiers because they seem to provide a decent platform to build upon. I was thinking about doing something exotic with the electronics, say Ken Smith J-bass pups or Basslines with an Aguilar OB-3 preamp. What do you think?
    I like the current neck, especially with the ebanol fingerboard, however, I've always like basses with maple fingerboards. Last but not least, people always talk about the BadAss bridges and Gotoh tuners, I'm assuming that's what you all would suggest if I decide to change them as well.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure other people have had questions as well, so maybe this will be educational to them as well.

Thanks again!
    Chris

"When the song is over, and you're looking around trying to figure how everything stayed together, look at the bass player....he has glue on his hands."

2. I'd play it for a while before thinking about mods. Those basses get a lot of love in their stock condition.

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I love modding basses, but I always have a specific reason for the mod. I really like to "know" the bass before doing anything to it. Of course there are a few used basses I bought strictly with the intent of modding, usually because someone else started modding it or the bass is just a parts bass.

My general mods include changing light weight bridges with heavier bridges (Badass, Schaller, ABM, etc). My preference in pickups and electronics are passive so I go for DiMarzio, Fender or other passive pups. I need two pickups on the bass. I never replace tuning pegs unless there is a problem with the ones on the bass.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The stock bridge on this bass is way more than heavy enough, one of the last things I'd change.

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    +1

6. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Hey, thanks you all for your advice. I've been familiarizing myself with my new bass, and I can't believe how well this thing sounds through my rig!! It honestly rivals my Ibanez BTB406!

That said, I probably won't consider modding for a while, unless I luck up on a third bass lol!!

Thanks again my fellow bassists!!

Chris