1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new to overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EnviroMetal, Mar 6, 2013.

1. EnviroMetal

EnviroMetal

Feb 16, 2013
    I just got a Boss Distortion pedal, ODB-3, and was practicing with it today. I got the distortion level equal to my clean volume and only used it a couple times at practice. There are only two parts in two songs that I used it and yet after practicing for 2 hours (no it was not on continuously) I noticed the speakers were clipping a bit on the low notes. but the highs were fine. It wasnt too bad but i still want a completely clean sound not even a lil distorted when I play clean.
    My questions are
    1) Are my speakers blown for good now or should I just give them time to cool down?
    2) Should I lower the volume on the pedal even more to prevent any damage?

2. If you have it in bypass, it shouldn't be any different that if you were running it directly in, but stuff does happen that might cause problems.

You may be clipping the input of the pedal. If you are doing this you need to turn down your bass volume a little and then turn it back up somewhere at your amp.

You may be clipping the input of your amp. If so, you may just be able to turn down the input gain on the amp and then juice the master volume a little bit.

If you're clipping your power amp you need to turn down the master or get more amp.

If you are actually clipping your speakers and not part of the signal chain, you need to turn down or get more cab.

3. EnviroMetal

EnviroMetal

Feb 16, 2013
    yeah its just the speakers because i hooked up another amp and it was doin the same.

4. Does it still clip if you turn the amp master down? If it does, that indicates to me that you are overdriving some part of your signal path and not blown speakers.

Start by turning down the master volume on your amp. If the distortion goes away, you probably need bigger gear for the sound you're trying to make(either a bigger amp or a second cab, possibly both).

If the distortion is still present, then turn down the input gain on your amp. If the distortion goes away when you lower the input gain, you were overdriving your amp input and have just solved your problem.

If the distortion is still present, then turn down the volume on your bass. If the distortion goes away, you were overdriving the pedal input, and have just solved your problem.

If you still have distortion after all of that, you probably have gear that is damaged and in need of repair.

This little troubleshooting guide is assuming you are hooked up bass>ODB-3>amp with the ODB3 bypassed.

5. EnviroMetal

EnviroMetal

Feb 16, 2013
    I have a Hartke LH500 if that helps. simple controls...volume, bass, mids, treble.

I had the bass plugged in ODB-3 which was plugged into a tuner which is plugged into the amp.
    I even used a different amp head with the bass going directly into the amp, no pedals or anything connected and it was still doin it.