New to PC Recording - Need Help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jrw, Jul 25, 2002.

1. jrw

Nov 28, 2001
    I am interested in instrument/vocal recording using my PC. I have read a little on the subject but I am a true beginner. To get started I recently purchased Cakewalk HS 2002 and a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and these should be arriving soon. These will be installed on a Dell (PII) XPS R450 with 256MB RAM.

Here is a list of the instruments I plan on using for recording.
    Fender J-Bass w/ Bassman 25 amp
    Ovation electric acoustic w/ Crate CA-125 amp
    Yamaha PSR-90 keyboard
    Audio Technica microphone

Is this all I need to start recording? Or, do I need additional equipment to get going? Or, will I need other equipment in the near future to make the process a little easier.

I've heard mention of breakout boxes, mixers, preamps, etc. but I'm not sure where they fit in the overall picture.

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    If you're going to use that microphone on anything, you will need some sort of mic preamp to accompany it. Something to raise the gain of the mic's signal to a workable level. You can use the preamp of a mixer or a dedicated mic pre. It doesn't have to cost a fortune, I believe the M-Audio AudioBuddy is a decent thing that (I think) goes for under $100. You can plug your bass into it as well (for direct recording)!

EDIT: $80 for the AudioBuddy.