Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to playing, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoic, Sep 2, 2000.

1. stoic

stoic

Sep 2, 2000
    I would like to learn howot play bass but I need to buy one first. What do you guys reccommend? I was looking at an Ibanez GSR200, any pros/cons about it?
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    ok i'm kinda into to Fenders so heres what i think Get a MIM Precision or Jazz Bass you can find they for around $290-320 new. Also look @ used basses alot of times you can find a great axe for cheap. I've only heard a few things about the GSR200 basses that they are good & that they suck so i can't really be any help to that one sorry. Good Luck try out all the basses in your price range.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Owning an Ibanez GSR200, I would say go fr it. It's a great way to start out. They do have a smaller neck than Fenders, but they also have a P+J pickup system that Fender doesn't. It's a decent bass to start out out. It's worth the biginer bucks. I have seen nothing wrong with my GSR, it's just different from Fender and others. It does have a smallish and fast (thin) neck, so if you have big hands, you might not like it. Overall, I woul highly recommend it as a first bass.

Only con I can think if is that is IS a first bass. You can get much better for a little more, but if you have to have a bass, then it's a very good bet. BTW what color? I have it in jewel blue.

4. stoic

stoic

Sep 2, 2000
    Thanks for the help guys. I am looking towards the jewel blue or black, I don't like the red.
    - Matt

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The PJ pickup configuration is definitely the most flexible you can get -- you'll get the maximum range of useable sounds from it. Plus, if you ever want to upgrade the pickups (the cheapest way to upgrading your sound), ALL of the aftermarket manufacturers make replacements.

Sounds like a deal!

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If it feels "right" in your hands buy it and get started.Over time you'll discover all the brands of basses and amps and you'll find your permanent favorite.

7. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    I bought a GSR200 a few months ago and am happy with it. The only negative thing I've noticed is that when I turn the tone knob all the way to one side it gets some extra noise in the sound, but I like it turned all the way in the opposite direction anyway, so it doesn't really matter. :) I don't know if they all do that...I guess it could just be a by-product of modifying the tone in that way (if that makes any sense). Or maybe it's something in this guitar amp I'm using until I get a real bass amp.

BTW, my GSR200 is black. I was afraid the red bass would clash with my red hair. ;)

Joel

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Cam, you truly have heard only few things then, GSR series are known to be very good basses, for their price.

And stoic, if you like that Ibanez, go for it. I don't play it for you, neither does FJC or DaveB. You play it, and only
    your opinion matters here. Other brands besides Ibanez that have good reputation in that pricegroup are Yamaha, Washburn and Fender. Squires I hear suck tho.. But hey, it's your call.

9. Christine23

Christine23

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah I actually notice that w/ my bass too, but I think it was something w/ the wiring in my dad's house or something, because when I came back home, it didn't happen anymore. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem w/ the actual guitar.

Christine

10. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    (boy, I'm really considering a "suck-free" month or something here in "Basses"...would it be possible to hold intelligent conversations without having to resort to "xxxxx sucks" talk? Nothing sucks...nothing...)

(-GM)

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

GM, your post reminds me about the cartoon I saw in local newspaper during the vandalism-free week here.. There were three little arsonist-looking kids watching at the 'vandalism-free week'-sign and smoking, one of em saying 'cool, we have 51 vandalismweeks!'. Nuff said :)

PS. I should had said Squire's have bad reputation, what I have heard.. Sorry.

12. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    No problemo, Tsal :)

For some reason that just grates on my nerves...when an entire brand or music genre or anything is completely dismissed by a simple "they suck"...oh well...

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

-GM

13. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Oh, and for what it's worth...I think Squiers have a fine reputation...I know a number of players up here in both studio and live situations that use Squiers pretty regularly, especially as backups...as a matter of fact, the Squier P Bass Special seems to slowly be replacing the MIM Fender Jazz as a #2 instrument around here...

And Squier Guitars? Simply outstanding...Keith Brawley and the boys at Squier have done an oustanding job of revamping the guitar line with some highly sought after options and really have bumped up the quality factor a hundred fold...the new Squier Fat Telecaster is an oustanding instrument...

I hope the number of options that Squier provides guitarists are soon available to bassists...

-GM

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The "sucks" thing bugs me, too, GM. If one musician can pick up one of those basses and sound great on it, which direction does the "sucks" arrow point to, the bass' or yours?;) I've come across tons of basses that don't float my boat, that aren't set up to my liking or feel like I prefer... and I've heard others sound great on them.

I'd bet most people could pick up Jaco's old beat up J (and it was beat up the old fashioned way...abuse;)) and get a serviceable sound but they wouldn't sound like Jaco. Would that be the basses fault?

As far as the Squier's rep, I've found they're good instruments "in that price range", which is very important. There's a reason other basses cost more:D
    :D:D:D

That's me in the corner... running a point into the ground.