Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new to pre/power. how does either of these setups sound??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smitcat, Dec 4, 2004.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Ok, after much searching, i think i may switch to a pre/ power setup instead of buying a new head. i like the idea of being able to switch either pre or power instead of having to buy an entirely new head.
    Right now ive got an ampeg svt-410he and an ampeg svt15e. both are rated at 8 ohms. My current head is an ampeg b2r, which has recently had a couple problems.
    As far as power, i don't need TONS, i play out a couple times a month but mainly bars, so the b2r's power has been enough. But i would like more.
    I would like to go with:
    QSC rmx850 with either a bbe bmax or an ampeg svp pro. I don't have a ton of money right how, so the bmax is a little more appealing. How would the bmax sound w/ these cabs?
    And i also need a little help figuring out how to set these up, as i don't completely understand it. What do i need as far as wires go?
    thanks for any help,
    Mike

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    You'll need a standard instrument cable to go into the preamp, a short instrument cable to go from the output at the back of the preamp to the input of the power amp, and a properly wired Speakon (you'll probably want to bridge it) to go from the output of the power amp to the cabs.

I had an RMX 1850 and it sounded really great, but it weighed a proverbial ton. You may want to look into the PLX 1202... It only weighs 21 pounds! IMO though, you really can't go wrong with any QSC amp.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Since money is tight (assuming you don't want to look at used stuff), the RMX850 will do you fine.

The owner's manual explains how to set the mode of the amp, whether you want to bridge it or run in parallel mode. The wiring of the speakon connectors at the amp end is different between running bridged and two channels. I currently use a banana connector at the amp end and a speakon at the cab end, since I can use it either way. ...But the speakon connector gives the best connection.

The BMax is a very fast-sounding pre with tons of low end available.
    The higher-priced BMax-T's tube gives it a more open, airy high end.
    The Sansamp RBI is another good (very versatile) preamp that doesn't cost an arm and leg.

Used SVP-Pro's go in the same $$ neighborhood; they have a thicker sound to the bottom than the other two preamps, but still fairly versatile.

Good luck.