new to pre/pwer amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I want to go with the pre/power amp setup and picked out my stuff. I'm going with the Bmax and QSC RMX1450. After lots of looking around I haven't really seen anything bad said about either of those units and the output per dollar looks like a great deal. I'm also using an Avatar B115H with a 210 cab using the Kappa Pro's rated at 500W each. So now it looks as though I have my power requirements covered indefinately and the cabs to handle it. I swear I don't want to have to EVER crank it to 10 again wishing I had just a bit more. I don't really play that loud but I love to have headroom. Should be a good sounding unit too I think. I hope!!

To hook up the preamp to the power amp, Can I just use 1/4" jack (typical instrument or speaker cable) cable from the Bmax main out to the QSC in? I know they will connect, but is everything ok as far as voltage level, impedance, balanced/unbalanced or whatever else may apply?

And to hook the cabs up- I have a speakon connector on the B115H but not on the 210 cab. Can I use a speakon cable to the 15" cab and a regular speaker cable from the 15" to the 210 (both 8 ohm cabs) to get everything connected and properly operating at 4 ohms?
  2. Use an instrument cable, not a speaker cable, to connect the preamp to the power amp. The voltage will be good and you won't need to run a balanced line unless you want your power 50ft away from your pre.

You can daisy chain the speakers the way you described if you plan on bridging the amp or using one side in stereo mode. If you want to run the amp in stereo you can get a 2 pole banana to 1/4 speaker cable for your 2x10 and connect it to the amp that way. FWIW I recommend 12awg or bigger.
  3. I have a BMax, QSC PLX1602 and Avatar B15H(4 ohm 600 Watt) which I run out of one channel only. Am saving for a Avatar 2-12 or 2-10 (4 ohm) to run out of the other channel.

They mate up fine. I use the balanced XLR out to the poweramp, but you can use a 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable.

When I first put it all together, I did not like the sound at first - it was to much bass and not enough mids even with the variable mids cranked. I thought it was a combination of a only a 15" speaker and the BMax, but have since realized that I had the bass knob on the BMax turned up to much. The bass if left at 1-2 sounds great with the 15" cabinet. It just took a little time to find the tones that I like. I am very picky about just the right combination and frequencies of mids turn up with just a little bass. Beyond that I can control everything from the onboard Aquilar OBP-3 preamp for different songs. I think I can get just about any sound I like out of the BMax and am quite happy.

As far as volume I can't crank the poweramp much beyond 33% before the others on stage complain. This is unfortunate. As a result, I don't really need another cabinet, but my son uses the rig and he needs volume to compete with two very loud quitar players.
  4. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Thanks guys, sounds like I'm all set then. And then some!

alembicbassist, you didn't read the manual did you?? Hahah, check out page 5 under Pre-Amp, number 5 about halfway down: Bmax Manual Sounds like you're on your game though since you found that out anyway.

Seems sort of an odd control setup but there sure seem to be plenty of satisfied owners so it must work out just fine.