Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to Rack Equipment.. Need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I've always ran my Axes through a Fender Bassman 100.. Pleanty loud for gigs, and awsome features for PA and Loops and what not. But it just doesn't clearly spill out the tones of my Warwick as much as I'd like, and I finally decided its time to go with rack Equipment.

I am planning on getting a SWR Megoliath, and want to know what kind of head to get where I don't need a power amp and a preamp.. Just kind of a 2 in one kind of thing. Again, I'm new to this.. Also, what are the advantages of a limiter..

Anything you can suggest will be appreciated, if you think I should look into anything specific, let me know.

~AJ

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    How about an SWR 750x? Or the new SWR Workingman's 8004 T/O/P head? Both are excellent matches for that cab...if you go to the SWRsound.com site and click the links to get to the Megoliath page, they'll list which heads from SWR go well with that cabinet as well. Good Hunting!

3. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Thanks.. Do both of those heads also supply power to the Mego-?

4. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Yep, these are both powered amp heads...I think the 750x has a tube preamp, as well!

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I don't know what your budget is, but an SWR SM-900s would be a great choice as well, if you wanted to stick with SWR. One of these'll cost ya a bit more, though.

Another higher-powered head to consider is an Ampeg SVT4Pro (had ta get that one in there;) :p ).

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the advantages of a limiter are that it softly "compresses" the output of the amp. it limits the extremes of the signal going to the speakers...

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    and in swr gear, it also activates the active LED which will light up after a certain amount of headroom is used. it will light up on lower notes that are hit somewhat harder (depending on the setting of the preamp) before clipping.

8. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Would it make a big difference if I had a limiter or not?

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    A limiter couldn't hurt...

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Most (if not all) of SWR's high end series heads come with a limiter on it. I have a Bass 750, sounds great, and plenty of power. I've not heard the megoliath, but I do own the Goliath Senior (6x10). This is one of the loudest cabinets made IMO. On approx. 50% volume, my brother made the comment that it was the loudest thing he had ever heard, that remained clean. Can't go wrong with SWR in my opinion!