1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to Recording; GarageBand or Cubase LE 8?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cool12y, Feb 7, 2016.

1. cool12y

cool12y

Jan 5, 2016
    Hi! I have recently become interested with recording. I have a Mac with GarageBand, and I just bought a Zoom B3 which comes with Cubase LE 8 for FREEEEEEEE (albeit i've been unable to download it since my internet speed is 512kbps ATM -_-)

I've been doing a bit of research but most of the terms go over my head. I still don't know hat DAW even means... :/

I have played with Garageband a bit, but mostly just as an amp for practice or something. I've heard that Garageband provides a good transition to Logic Pro X, which is like the holy grail for not-David-Guetta levelled musicians or something.

So, in conclusion, I'd like to know what Recording Thingy you use and suggest I should start with, and if it makes any difference at all.

Peace :D

2. cool12y

cool12y

Jan 5, 2016
    Bump! Bumpty bump bump bump!

3. DAW means Digital Audio Workstation.

I have worked with a number of DAWs, and currently use Protools and Cubase LE, depending on the need that I have. I prefer PT by a mile, but for some quick and easy jobs I use Cubase.

It took me next to no time to figure out how to navigate PT and get up and running.

It took me a bit longer to do it with Cubase, but not much. It's not quite as intuitive as PT.

I should note that I am a trained audio engineer from the analog only days - which is why PT feels very comfortable to me.

Bought a MacBook Pro two years ago. Since Garage Band is bundled with the machine, I thought I would try it, to do some of the quick and easy stuff I had been doing in Cubase.

Well, I spent about 20 minutes messing with it, and simply couldn't make heads or tails of it (surprising for an Apple product, as far as I am concerned).

So I think you have my answer.

4. cool12y

cool12y

Jan 5, 2016
    Thank you so much! I guess I'll start out with Cubase LE8 only - I mean it's paid so obviously it will be better than Garageband.

5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I would recommend Logic over anything else, anytime.

As I don't have a Mac currently I am using Cubase though.

If you are having problems financing getting a DAW, I can only recommend Reaper, it's free and actually really good.