1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new to recording, what equipment?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hecTr0n, May 31, 2011.

1. hecTr0n

hecTr0n

Jan 6, 2011
    first off i only have my phones internet access which is super slow for the time being so, this is why i posted here :smug:

anyways, i wanna record my bass and guitar to my computer...i have a built in soundcard that cant be removed which sucks because the input / mic isnt working. i tried alot of stuff to get it working but nothing works. so, i gave up on that. i hear theres adapters that can hook up through usb that u can hook up ear phones / mic to?

what i wanted to know is, what stuff should i buy / look into for personal recordings... i'll make them to cds eventually but its mainly for myself to listen to. weird, i know but thats what i want this for and some close friends to hear. so, what could i get without breakin the bank thats decent quality? links would be kool too...but at a minimum cause my internet issue..lol thanks. ;)

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
  3. ben12390

ben12390

Jul 5, 2010
    I've got one of these.
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface and more Audio Interfaces at GuitarCenter.com.
    it goes into USB to your PC/Mac. then it has two inputs in the front, that double as either XLR(mic) or 3/4in jacks (instrument)
    on the back theres some MIDI inputs and outs, RCA(red and white) outs, and TRS outs (which are 3/4in Jacks).

Its a great rig. a little pricey, but it tracks really well. I've had experience with the cheaper ones, and they dont do as well, IMO. and this one has two inputs, so sometimes ill mic my amp in one input, and do direct with the other, and it makes for nice mixing abilities.

I'd say get that one if you're looking for good quality. But if you arent looking to spend that much something like this
    Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 and more Audio Interfaces at GuitarCenter.com.
    is cheap and effective. it will do what you want. but it wont do it at the quality of some of the more expensive ones.

best of luck!

4. hecTr0n

hecTr0n

Jan 6, 2011
    If I went with the m-audio device, would I need a d.I. box to get a good sound or would hooking up striaght to this give a good sound? Would hooking up my amp to the device be a good way to go?

5. Search for a 'USB guitar interface' on amazon, they make some with a 1/4" input and a headphone jack plus a USB out to your pc/Mac that do not require a preamp or di and sell for about $30. Nehru get makes them. But I bought a no name because I hate behringer. You also need a program to record into, such as cubase, protools or garage band... Garage band comes with all macs and is a really easy way to get into digital recording.

6. Damn autocorrect. "Nehru get" is supposed to be behringer in my above post... And to answer your other question, no, you do not need a di for the m audio, it has preamp functionality built in (I'm saving up for the model listed earlier in this thread...).

7. UpTheLowEnd

UpTheLowEnd

May 18, 2011
    You could check out line 6's POD studio range, i occasionally use the POD studio GX for home recording, the price is reasonable and the quality is good for the price. It plugs straight into your computers USB and comes with a few recording softwares.

USB Audio Interface | POD Studio GX | Line 6

8. ben12390

ben12390

Jul 5, 2010
    It will be pure guitar tone. so it'll sound a bit off. but if you can go Guitar>amp>M-Audio then it will sound almost exactly like your amp sounds.
    There's some programs out there that can model guitar amps, so if you go direct into the M-Audio box, you can sound just as good. It also comes with some programs for PC that you can use. I couldnt use the one that has the guitar models on it cause i have a Mac.

The Line 6 stuff is good. some of those boxes come with PodFarm. and that program is great to mess around with.

9. Infrasonik B.

Infrasonik B. Banned

Aug 4, 2010
    Ottawa, On
    I’ve been using this baby (EDIROL UA-25 24 bit/96 kHz USB Audio Capture :: Overview) for a good 5 years and it’s been a great little tool. It’s like any other USB interface, so same idea and functionality as ben12390’s M-AUDIO.

Mine came with Sonar as a recording program and I’m not sure if all interfaces come with a program so you might want to check that out (saves you from buying or pirating one). I also know tons of sound engineers and home-studio guys that use Sonar so it’s definitely not some cheap, crappy program they throw in there just to complete the package.

For recording I play my rig like I normally would and just plug into the UA-25 via the Direct Out on my amp. Sonar is really easy to figure out and you can record what seems to be an infinite number of tracks that you can multi-layer.

It was about $150 CAN when I got it 5 years ago. At the time it was one of the few/most popular USB interfaces and I’m sure there are tons more on the market now with varied prices and options.

I’d still recommend the UA-25 any day but it’s the only one I’ve ever used.

Good luck with your search!

10. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    Really need to know how much you have for buying.
    IMHO, if you use mac, I would go for Apogee one for cheapest option.
    If you have more money, then Apogee duet 2.

11. g13b9b5

g13b9b5

Jun 27, 2011
    you can get a USB output added to any of your guitars or basses. check out iGuitarWorkshop.com for more info. this solution doesnt require any drivers, no software, and is super easy all around.

12. shanecools

shanecools

Aug 28, 2011
    Long Story Short: Save your money the next time you’re thinking about heading out to a recording studio and start investing in yourself. Not only is a home studio in reach, it also allows artists to take control of their music (financially & creatively).

Visit themusicmanufacturer.com for more!