Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to Talkbass...here's my sample

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by lowendforlife, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Hi all...I'm new to Talkbass...I'm 17 years old and live in the Tampa bay area. Here's a sample of a group I played in with 4 other guys my age at Berklee this summer. It's recorded on my Kohr carved upright with a blend of DI signal from a Realist and a mic placed about 10 inches away from the tob of the treble-side F-hole. I don't solo or anything, but this should give you a feel for my walking, interplay, etc. Unfortunately, the original file is too big so I had to use a low quality streaming-audio recorder to rip a very small clip of it. I'll post more small clips to give you a bigger picture...Looking forward to being a part of the TB forums :)

2. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey man,

Welcome to TB. I'm listening at work through crappy little speakers so I can't really hear the bass. What I did hear sounds good!

I'll check it out again later....

3. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I found it hard to hear the bass on that stream too, but I've heard Billy in person and he's a fine player. I wish I had that much together when I was his age (twenty years ago :crying: ). Welcome to Talkbass, Billy and congrats on landing a spot in the Clearwater Jazz Holiday. Will you be playing bass with your group or that other six string-type instrument you've been known to play? :bassist:

- Steve

My web page

4. Hey Steve...thanks for the kind words...you're a fine player yourself! As for Clearwater Jazz, I'll be staying true to myself and holding down the low end...The other three cats in the band are RIDICULOUS young musicians from all over the country. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Hope to see you there!

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey man,

Just listened at home with some real speakers. You sound great. Nice triplets! It's swingin'.

6. perytojie

perytojie

Dec 2, 2004
    Nancy, FRANCE
    You bet, nice triplets!!! I'm eager to hear some more! Well done.
    It seems this formation you played with is a kinda modern sounding, interactive playing one... Are you gonna send some more Billy?

7. Bien sur, je vous en enverrai bientôt!

8. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Billy, I thought you switched from French to German. Or were you just talking about bows? ;)

- Steve

My web page

9. Yep, we were talking about bows. Nothing beats the French language ;)

10. perytojie

perytojie

Dec 2, 2004
    Nancy, FRANCE
    you should send an audio clip of you speaking french, i'd like to hear a bit of that as well!!
    BTW, i don't really understand why you should learn a foreign language in the U.S as english rules all over the world... maybe because french people just can't speak english :scowl: or just for the sake of understanding the intricate complexity of each language's poetry of rhythm and music, all of the cultural aspect that stand as the reasons of their idiosyncrasies...

11. Vous avez de la sagesse...Le francais...une langue assez belle...Je l'ai apprise car ma grand-mère venait de la suisse. Elle parlait seulement francais. Lorsque j'étais plus jeune, elle habitait avec ma famille, et si je voulais lui parler, il fallait que je parle francais. Donc, maintenant je la connais bien. Si on sait une autre langue, son coeur et esprit sont ouverts à l'exploration des différentes façons de vivre avec lesquelles on ne pourrait pas savoir autrement...Il vaut mieux d'être informé et cultivé, n'est-ce pas? ;)

(je ris aux gens qui vont à www.freetranslation.com pour savoir ce qui se passe ici)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually, I think Mandarin Chinese is going to be the dominant language pretty soon....?

13. Here's another couple of short samples of a tune I penned...

14. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Mark Neuenschwander was right. You're gonna scare a lot of people someday. :eek:

- Steve

My web page

15. perytojie

perytojie

Dec 2, 2004
    Nancy, FRANCE
    Aucun doute là-dessus!! Etre curieux est le meilleur moyen de ne pas tomber dans la stupidité la plus pathétique. Ecouter toutes les musiques, lire tous les livres, peindre, chanter, faire l'amour au monde, apprendre toutes les langues... Utopie en somme. Mais qui ne tente rien n'a rien. Les rêves ne se réalisent pas vraiment (sinon se ne serait pas des rêves :eyebrow: ) mais l'énergie qu'on peut en tirer est assez phénoménale!!!

You're right, but it'll probably be in 200 years or so... They still got some things to manage before being influential enough to impose their language as an international one. All the same, there are many historic reasons why english has become the international language, imperialism being one of the most important one guess.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In many senses it already is :

"At the top of the league table is Mandarin Chinese, which has 1,052 million speakers, more than twice as many as the next highest, English, with 508 million. Third is Hindi with 487 million and fourth Spanish, with 417 million. Of course, English is a far more global language - though primarily as a second language - than Chinese, the vast majority of whose speakers live in China. But with the present rise of China - and indeed India - it would not be difficult to imagine Mandarin and Hindi becoming far more widely spoken by 2100. By way of contrast, French, which until the early 20th century was, with English, the global language of choice, albeit with rather more prestige, now lingers in ninth place in the table, with a mere 128 million speakers - little more than half the number of Bengali speakers, and just above Urdu."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/history/0,6121,1435748,00.html

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Where's the clip? I found the other two later ones, and they sound great in spite of the low res washing out of the cymbals. Please post some his res stuff soon!

18. Erm :confused:

I can see the "Entrance" clips, but there's no link visible in the very first post on my browser... Quoi?

19. Moi aussi, Chris! what's French for simulpost?

(Le simulpost, probably....)