Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new to TB with some questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikekim, Jul 2, 2005.

1. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    Hello there. I'm new here, been lurkin for a while though. My name is Michael (you can call me Mike) and I'm an american born korean who lived all of his life in Argentina. A nice mix eh?
    Yeah I know you'd like to see my bass, right? That's GAS for us bass players... :smug:

PEDULLA THUNDERBOLT 1994
    [​IMG]

I love my Pedulla Thunderbolt but I just need a fretless bass after playing pizzicato style on my cello. So a friend of my older brother, who's a luthier, is making a fretless bass for me. Carl Thompson styled, neck-thru, lined ebony fingerboard, birdseye maple for neck, cocobolo for the top... not sure about the rest of the woods. I was thinking on DiMarzio Ultra Jazz for pups. Here are some pics of a bass he made so you get an idea of how he works:
    http://www.chicasybajos.com.ar/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=5

Anyways, I was thinkin of having it made 32" scale since I'm having some problems with my hands. I've been to the doctor and I think I'm beggining to have CTS (I know, I'll keep away from the keyboard!). Is it worth it? I mean, is the sound much worse than a regular 34" scale bass? Keep in mind it's a fretless.

One last question: does anybody know about the type of sound this kind of bridge gives to the bass?

Thanks.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it's going to be a four-string, you shouldn't have any issues with a 32" scale so long as it's built well. A lot of bassist have used 32" scale basses over the years, and the shorter scale will help with the fretless, since you have to stretch more to get the right intonation on fretless than you do on a fretted.

3. It will have its own sound. Slightly tubbier and less piano like. Not "worse".

If you are thinking of using a wooden saddle, as in the pic, for your fretless, you might have sustain problems, particularly with the shorter scale. Or it might sound really cool and woody! Try it and see. If you want a cello-like pizzicato sound, this might give it to you.

4. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    Ok thanks for the replies! Helped a lot. :)