Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to the bass and have an Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vegiehead, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi All

Im new to the bass (An Ex-Drummer) and im loving it !

I have a Ibanez 4 string electric bass that came with a 10w amp as part of a starter kit.. Now that im jamming with mates Im finding that the 10w just isnt big enough.

So i was looking around and found some amp's that id like your opionon on if i may?

First one is a BX4210A combo. This has 450 watts and 2x10" speakers.

Second is a BX4500 + BB410 cab.

These are Behringer amps ive never heard of them before and cant really find alot about them anywhere... anyone use them or know about them?

In genral the amp will be used later on for pub gigs.

Thanks

Vegie

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    o.k. do you want to spend as little as possible
    OR
    get the most for your money, less regrets?

sorry, I cringe when I hear the "B" word.

If you want to do it right, DON'T RUSH INTO BUYING JUST ANYTHING.

Read reviews on amps or brands you are considering

Here: http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/
    or here: http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/14
    or here: http://www.bgra.net/

read through FAQ's here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166225

ask questions if you don't find the answers

what websites have you been shopping on?
    how much money do you have to spend?
    is used equipment o.k. for you?

ask questions, we'll try to help.

3. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi Thanks for the reply.

Id like to take the less regrets path i think otherwise id be replacing a lot of equipment down the track?

I Havent looked at many websites i got the brandname/Package details from a music store site here in Melbourne Australia ..i like to shop at stores i can see :)

Id like to keep the total i spent on a Amp (Amp&Cab or Combo) under $700

Yeah i guess used gear is ok... does it make a diffrence for Amps/Combo's if there used?

So many options!!!!

Thanks

Vegie

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I was asking about the websites so we can window's shop with you and make suggestions for you to look at since not all brands are sold everywhere.

if you have some local australian discussion boards ask some of the local veteran bass player what are GREAT brands that we might not be able to recommend to you.

and if your talking 700 (australian currency??) then a local website for you will help us pick stuff in your price range without wipping out our currency converter software!! :p

anyway just some ideas: at least 100w if a combo, make sure a combo has extra speaker output for expansion. be cautious of "too good to be true prices" in U.S. dollars I'd recommend to be prepared to spend $500+ for a new combo. and about $500+ each for a good new 410 or 115 and about $500+ for a good new "head" 400w into 4, MINIMUM! If you shop used take about 1/3 to 1/2 off for a ballpark figure.

for name brands I'd check ampeg, aguilar, eden, yorkville, swr, gallien-Krueger, These are brands I've heard more than once and can recommend.

Combo's I'd recommend: Yorkville xm200, Eden dc210xlt or dc112xlt, aguilar ag500??-112c or 212, those are MY personal considerations if I were in the market for a BIG combo.

sometimes you can find great deals on ebay for yorkvilles older "BM" series amps bm400 with a 115 would be killer!

Heads: I like aguilar 500, Eden WT "hybrid" heads, I'd suggest getting a WT400 or WT550, try the WT330 (all solid state, but pretty nice) or wt405. yorkville again, GK seems quite affordable and popular, but beware of overrated wattages, lean towards the higher wattage models. I have moved out of my "SWR" phase and don't like their sound, but an old Bass 350 served me pretty well. you can find red faced for about $300 or non-x 350's for about $400 US on ebay.

CAbs: cheap new most people say avatar.com. again older yorkville, eden, ampeg, swr. I've not played in bars so I don't know if 212's would be loud enough, but I prefer aguilar gs112's I have three and play regularly with two. I think their great at least for stage monitoring. I bought them for tone and portability. I like to carry about 40 Lbs or less per piece. cabs are 42 each.

maybe thats too much info, but I wanted to jabber :D

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Oh, I have a different thought and therefore a different post!:p

some wisdom I've aquired along the way (hows that for presumptuous!)

#1 never buy ONLY on someones rave reviews!
    #2 ALWAYS listen to equipment considerations using your guitar and equipment when possible.
    #3 IF YOU CAN audition new/used equipment in a band situation. i.e. take it on a gig or to practice. does it have a trial period?

It's VERY possible that something someone thinks is "the best amp/cab/guitar EVER made!!!" doesn't sound that good to you or for your sound....

everyones ears/tastes are different, but we are happy to offer our opinions!!!

6. I think a used in good condition SWR Bass 350 is a great starter amp. Pair that with your choice of 2x10, 4x10 or 1x12/2x12.
    For example the SWR 350 should be under $420 US and an Avatar cab will be under $300 US.
    I had a SWR 350 for about 5 years and was great, I moved to a bigger rig, but until you get to know what exactaly the sound is your looking for, it's great.

7. I am in Melbourne and bought my BX4500 + BB410 from the Bass Centre.

I love it and have no regrets whatsoever, and I would recommend them. Of course, you will find many people on this forum who will try to swear you off them, but make sure they have actually owned one, or at least played through one for some length of time before you accept their side of the story.

Most people seem to bag them for the following reasons:
    - They don't like the company ethic, as they seem to be copying others designs. Unlike most of the rest of the market :)
    - They are so much cheaper than anything else out there so they must be bad.
    - They are not a name brand
    - They have quality issues. This was one that worried me the most and so I made sure I played the amp I took home, and I played it to pieces in the first few weeks.
    - Some don't like the sound. Fair enough.

If you look at all the other threads on other amps you see the same quality/sound things said about major brands too, so it is swings and roundabouts.

In the end, I spent months looking for second hand gear in shops, trading post and ebay, and could not find anything to match - even at close to twice the price. I finally went in and played the amp with my own guitar, liked the sound and bought it. The bands I play with say they love the sound and think the amp is kick a#se.

So that's the other side of the review story for you - I personally would get the separate head and cab so you can upgrade as you see fit later on, but it's a big, heavy bastard (but you're an ex drummer and so will have strong arms!!), so a combo may be more convenient.