Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to the Bass looking for advice on a fingering problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jetmech727, Feb 2, 2005.

1. jetmech727

jetmech727

Jan 29, 2005
    Just want to know what the right hand should do in this case:

For example, when Playing the E on the 2nd fret D string, it causes the open E to ring seeing that there the same pitch. I know I can play with my thumb on the E, but I prefer to play with it on the pick up. Is it normal to let your pinky rest on the bottom of the open E? Any of your techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    i generally rest my thumb on my pickup! AS far as ringing e string that is somthing you will figure out on youre own with years of practice. After awhile youre fingers will almost teach themsleves to muffle the string if it will be a problem. I was trying to watch myself hit that problem to see what i do. I find that my fingers kinda do the thinking for me. I found that my ring finger actully rested on the open e string. Never really thought about that before.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's no set way to mute open strings. So long as you do it, it doesn't matter what finger on what hand, etc.

That said, your RH thumb can be a very effective muting tool. An efficient muting technique is to have the RH thumb mute all the strings below the one that you're playing, while the LH fingers mute the ones above.

4. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Side of your palm is nature's mute.