New to the Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teufelhunde, Oct 30, 2004.

1. teufelhunde

Oct 30, 2004
    I'm going to buy my first bass and would like any info on...
    1. What is a good brand/type for a newbie
    2.any useful info/tips for a beginner
    3. Are there certain types of basses that are "better" for certain types of music
    :ninja: <--- cool a ninja Smiles!
  2. PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello and welcome !! It all depends on what you are willing to invest in your bass and what type of music you are going to play. There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums that will most definatley help awnsering your questions. I chose a Fender for my first bass and still own that same bass today, if you are looking for something to learn on check out the Fender line at they have some decent prices on a first time basses. Also check out the Ibanez line they are decent also. Once you see one you like go to a music shop and play it and see if the sound is what you are looking for also.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Hey devildog! Welcome to TB. Here's my take on your questions:

1. Depends on your budget. "Any" bass is good for a newbie, if you can afford it. :) If it were me, and I was sure I'd be continuing with my bass playing, I'd try to get an "industry standard" mid-priced instrument, like maybe one of Fender's production basses (a Jazz or Precision bass), which typically run somewhere around 800 bucks, plus or minus a couple hundred. Assuming, of course, that a 4 string is what you want. There are cheaper basses (Squier's and the like), and more expensive basses, and all of them will work. The best advice I can give you is "try before you buy". All production basses are not alike, they come off the line in all conditions and qualities. Spend some time at your local GC and find a bass that you really like, that feels comfortable to play, and gives you the tone you want. Then be ready to pay cash so you can get the best price.

2) Practice practice practice. :D When I was first starting out, I built up my ear by listening to the radio a lot, and playing along with whatever disc they happened to be spinning at the time. Do you have any previous musical experience? On other instruments maybe? If so, the radio is a great way to get you oriented to the bass, in terms of being able to find the note you want. If not, the radio is good anyway, but you'll definitely want to supplement your ear training with some music theory. Also, rhythm is very important for a bass player. Practice with a drum machine every now and then, it'll help build up your sense of timing. And finally, start going to some jam sessions around town. You can see what the other bass players are doing, and how they approach their craft, and you can meet plenty of other musicians there.

3) Debatably, yes. It probably has just as much to do with the player as with the bass, but there are definitely some basses that are more suitable for slapping than others. Part of that might be tone-wise, and part of it might be related to playability (neck shape, cutaway style, etc). What kind of music do you like, and what kind would you like to play? I'd get a "middle of the road bass" for starters. Eventually, when you get really good, you'll probably get the GAS ("gear acquisition syndrome") for more than one bass. I have a bunch (been playin' for years), and they all have specific purposes. Some are better in the studio, some are better live. The one I play most often is a 5-string F bass, 'cause it's light and comfortable and has killer tone. But "any" bass is better than no bass. :bassist:
  4. teufelhunde

Oct 30, 2004
    I enjoy a large spectrum of music , I listen to primus(which first turned me on to bass) pink floyd , an oregon band called floater(who by the way total rock and if you haven't heard them ya should), a lot punk(ramones, green day, flogging molly etc) and the staples(what I figure are) metallica, soundgarden, STP, and Smashing Pumpkins. I do not have any previous musical experiance, better late than never