Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by haythamehab, Feb 2, 2005.

1. haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    what should i do to be a great bassist in realtivley short time...and don't jsut say practicing ....tell me what to practice
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    As Donald Trump once said "surround yourself with winners". Oh, and change that me-me-me attitude. It's not very attractive.
  3. haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    and other than surronding my self with winners
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    practice? ;)

What he ment was to learn some songs from successful artists to get a feel of how bass is played.
  5. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    It might be a good idea to seek out a pro teacher, and get some lessons. Also, learn songs by ear, from CD's, etc... Get some beginners books, and pick up an ear training course. This will get you on the right path. But nobody becomes great in a short time, so lower your expectations, and enjoy the journey.
  6. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
  7. Practice practice practice !. Its the only way to progres.
  8. wow i hate your attitude

whats the rush, just play because its fun i bet you quit within the next year if you are only playing to be good. :rolleyes:
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

If you've already decided what answers you're willing to hear or not hear, don't ask the question.

If you're willing to hear what people think, then ask the question.

Otherwise it's just a waste of time.
  10. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    You should try listening to what people like Kiwi Kid tell you to become a great bassist and stop being so negative. Practice is whats gonna make you good if you dont want to do that maybee you should consider a new hobby to try out :rolleyes:
  11. Just one word would do this

It will either break you ( for the lack of it ) or make you
    Just ask any TB memeber here when they got the big "M" time itself does not matter because everything else will go hand in hand and once you get the enjoyment factor it will make you wan't to achieve with what you want no matter what the cost is or how long it takes.
    If you want to know what to practice I suggest you look up JAZZBO's practice thread in the GENERAL INSTRUCTION forum or do a search there have been other threads on this subject
  12. chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    From a fellow beginner, but learned in other disciplines: You don't get to say whether or not you're a great bassist. That's up to somebody else. All you can do is practice sincerely, and with full attention. Do that for a couple of years, and you might be on the road to artistry. And maybe someday, somebody will say "Damn, he's a great bassist!"

Good luck!

chasfr :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  13. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Write a song that has a catchy hook and spend $400,000 marketing it to the world.

But remember, there WILL be people in your team who don't want you to be great. That's a promise.

Edit: That's $400,000 US