1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to the Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ppap, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ppap

ppap

Sep 25, 2008
    Hello, I finally decided to buy a Bass guitar (I got a Washbutn T-24 for circa 150£, used...seemed a good deal).

Here's a picture of my woody friend

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have no former education in music besides what they usually teach you at school till you are 14 (here where I live).

I'm 20 now and decided to embark in this adventure. I like all genres and variations on bass, from trash metal Burton's lines, to RHCPs Fleas and up to funky jazzy fusion Jaco and groovy Victor Wooten :bassist:

I made a good choice as first bass? Would I be able at 20 to learn this instrument at a decent level without a properly trained hear / talent? :confused:

I have no great ambitions (like being a pro musician in any way) but to play basic funky jammy tunes by myself and being able to play decently an high speed song like Battery from Metallica to have fun with friends...

I'm planning to take lessons of course!

2. Welcome to the Brotherhood Of Bass!

You made a great choice in the bass and I have to tell you, you might change your mind about your goals when you realize that if you get your chops together you will never be out of work! :cool:

You came to the right place though. Talk Bass will prove to be your best source of info. Good Luck!

3. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Welcome man to the greatest community on earth. I'm pretty new to bass to and everybody on here is great to you. I am no expert on basses but for a first one it seems nice so congraulations. You will definently do well as long as you practice.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The last line of your post says it all! If you want to improve quickly, all you need are good lessons and enough time to practice. The bass you bought is just fine. Your instructor will be able to tell you if it needs a setup to make it easier to play. In fact, many instructors will be able to do the setup for you. Other than that, it's just play, play, play!

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Welcome my fat-bottomed friend. :)

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Welcome fellow n00b. The rhythm section is the place to be.

7. ppap

ppap

Sep 25, 2008
    What a welcome guys! yay for bass players!!

Im browsing the site and it's VERY impressive how good it looks and how full of info and useful discussions it is! What else can I say, awesome!

:bassist:

@caeman, where's the rhytm session ?

I read a lot about how important is rhytm to bass to give the prper feel to what you play, in other words...the GROOVE :)
    I think my next move would be to buy a metronome

8. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Never to "old" To start ,Welcome

9. ppap

ppap

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah I have been fdoing a lot of scales and position exercise.... I feel my left hand like I never felt it in reality! My fingers are becoming alive..

It's wonderful it's wonderful it's wonderful.... (if you know the song ;) )

10. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Do yourself a favor, something I wish I had done when I first started out. Buy yourself a book with music and tabs to the Motown collection. I love Rush, Pantera, Metallica, RHCP and the rest as well, but learn who James Jamerson is and how to play a few of his songs and you'll have a HUGE headstart at becoming a great bass player regardless of what genre you are playing.

Also, don't get too caught up in scales. They are good to learn to help you learn to play in different keys, but they are almost useless in a musical context. Other than that, have as much fun as possible and play with other musicians as often as you get a chance. Nothing will help you progress more than playing with other people, even if you think they are all way better than you.

11. ppap

ppap

Sep 25, 2008
    Thankyou for your advice Double Agent, I'll look that Motown book up!