Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to the board and stuff

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by DanNowhere, Jan 7, 2002.

1. My bro and bandmate turned me on to the Hoot page, and through that I found this. Pretty cool, I've been out of touch with a lot of my old favorite music stuff. Good to hear about the recovery from the surgery and all; have to say I didn't have a clue about it, but good luck and get back on the road, etc soon. I'm a fan from way back; still working on the wife, she just doesn't get it, but it's fun to torment her with "Double Nickels" on repeat all the way on a 12-hour drive to New York a couple of times a year.
    Anyway, I'm dusting off all my old bass stuff I haven't touched in years, and getting into a new band. I'm running into two major problems: getting my finger strength and speed back on the left hand (fret hand), and cleaning six years worth of cat urine off my Yamaha cabinet. Any suggestions for either?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi dan,

thanks for the good word. don't know what to do about the cat piss (whoa, those pheromones!) but it's gonna take some steady and consistent practice to get the hands back up to strength. happened to me after the illness. just be patient and don't go too hog-wild. a little at a time but make sure you do some every day. you don't want to strain anything though so just kind of take it easy. play along w/records - turn the bass tone control on the stereo down and you become the bass! things will be tougher w/a live drummer cuz of the sound volume requiring you to play harder. that's why I say play w/the records first, softly.

on bass, watt

3. watt

dan,

oh, I hear tomato juice works w/skunk spray - maybe it'll work w/cat piss?

on bass, watt

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi folks - I just happened to be lurking around here and noticed the cat pee dilema. Tomato juice may work - never tried it, but I know (through experience!) that lemon juice works well on cat pee!!! I've got 3 cats, and was sceptical when told this at first, but you know how you get to that stage you'll give anything a shot to get rid of THAT smell!!

Hope it works!!

5. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to give the lemon juice a try. Not just the smell I'm worried about, it's the pretty yellow streaks going down the fabric too. Can't tell if the cats are music lovers, or they just thought my bass playing sucked :D They got everything, both my cabinets, and my beautiful tweed Fender case.

6. watt

hi,

cats dig bass, I think it was either an accident or a show of love.

on bass, watt