Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new to the DB world

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by soundofphysics, Jan 9, 2001.

1. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    hello, this my first time on the DB side of talkbass.
    I've just recently started to play the upright for the first time. Does anybody have any reccomendations for a good starting point to make the transition from electric to upright, or should i scrap everything and approach it blind.

Any advice would be great, i plan to eventually make upright just as much an aspect of my musicianship as the electric.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I do not play BG, but my (relatively short) experience is that the transition to DB is not as smooth as it seems. Everybody here will advise you to avoid trying to learn by yourself and instead to get a teacher. Even on a well setup instrument, it takes a while to get used to press down those strings, and you could physically injure yourself by forcing the wrong fingerings. Don't scrap everything, but get a teacher, a bow, a book (Simandl), and maybe a year or two...Good luck & welcome to DBland.

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    GET A TEACHER.
    You need to have someone show you how to hold the instrument, how to use the bow (and why if you think don't need one), a fingering method and how to start to draw sound out of the instrument. If you don't do it right the first time you just have to go back at some point and correct bad habits, this is personal experience talking here. The doghouse is one of the most satisfying instruments to play but it is also very unforgiving in most ways.

If you have any more specific questions fire away.

4. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I will join the chorus - You simply gotta start with a teacher. This is a non-negotiable point. Even if you can only afford 3-4 months of lessons do it. Get off on the wrong foot and this beast will hurt you. You don't have to throw out everything you know. DB and BG are related, serve the same function in most music, are tuned and written the same. But as a recent convert, let me tell you the DB is a lot "differenter" than I ever expected. Welcome to the dark side.

5. Another big issue for someone with a background on bass guitar is the difference in playing up and down the strings much much more than across the strings as with bass guitar.

6. olivier, jeffbonny, and rablack are not me. They just sound like me.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I will join the chorus - You simply gotta start with a teacher. This is a non-negotiable point. [quote by Rablack]

Couldn't agree more. I would be a much better player now if I'd taken the teacher route right from the gitgo. As Ed (who I hope is still speaking to me :) ) said in another post, it is easier to learn EBG after learning URB than the other way around.

Good luck.

Pkr2

8. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    thanks guys, i think i'm gonan take classes on it for starters, and then when i can afford it get one on one teaching. I;m already a jazz theory major so teh classes will earn me credits hopefully anyways.