1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New to the Double

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by mikemulcahy, Jul 11, 2001.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I decided to walk on the other side for awhile and bought a 1959 Blonde Kay S9. I can say this much, after an hour of playing (to which I truly confess my lack of any sort of proficiency), my hands and fingers have never been so sore. But well worth the pain, I had no idea as to the deep rich tones that emits from this instrument, I can only imagine what will come out when I actually develop some technique. I will be lurking in here to glean knowledge from those more learned than I. Don't think I will post much as I don't know enough about my new instrument to ask an intelligent question.

Mike

2. You would be doing yourself a HUGE favour by getting a good double-bass teacher. Once you start getting into the double-bass, there's no going back... ...you have been warned ;>

- Wil

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    That is the general plan. This is not a do it yourself project. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Doc,

It's been about a month. Any updates?

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Just some very sore hands and a gasket blown in my cerebellum. I found a teacher and have been practicing daily. I absolutely adore this double.

Mike