Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to the Double

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by mikemulcahy, Jul 11, 2001.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I decided to walk on the other side for awhile and bought a 1959 Blonde Kay S9. I can say this much, after an hour of playing (to which I truly confess my lack of any sort of proficiency), my hands and fingers have never been so sore. But well worth the pain, I had no idea as to the deep rich tones that emits from this instrument, I can only imagine what will come out when I actually develop some technique. I will be lurking in here to glean knowledge from those more learned than I. Don't think I will post much as I don't know enough about my new instrument to ask an intelligent question.

Mike

2. You would be doing yourself a HUGE favour by getting a good double-bass teacher. Once you start getting into the double-bass, there's no going back... ...you have been warned ;>

- Wil

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    That is the general plan. This is not a do it yourself project. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Doc,

It's been about a month. Any updates?

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Just some very sore hands and a gasket blown in my cerebellum. I found a teacher and have been practicing daily. I absolutely adore this double.

Mike